Bowing in front of the tabernacle

  • Thread starter Thread starter lada
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lada

Guest
I know you are supposed to bow in front of the tabernacle, and have always done so when crossing in front of it. However, I recently signed up for the sacristan ministry, where I help clean the church before the weekend masses. My first time was last weekend and I liked to drove myself batty making sure I bowed before it whenever I passed. I had to vacuum the carpet in front of it, and that was very difficult to do and bow at the same time. :rolleyes: I also had to dust the blessed sacrament altar, and the marble steps leading up to it. Then, the ladies came in with the greenery for Advent and asked me to help. At one point I had to cross in front of the tabernacle while holding a HUGE fern that was very heavy and I couldn’t see where I was going, much less bow. :o

I’m just wondering, in this kind of case, is there some leeway where you would just have to bow once or something, or is it technically required to do so each time?
 
I’m just wondering, in this kind of case, is there some leeway where you would just have to bow once or something, or is it technically required to do so each time?
I don’t know about technicalities but I will say that the general rule of thumb for working in church is to genuflect at the beginning and end of the work but to not worry about it while doing the work.
 
Remember that the bowing before the tabernacle is meant to be an outward sign of your inward respect for Jesus in the tabernacle. If you are there cleaning, joyfully offering that work to God, you are also showing an outward sign of an inward respect. If you reduce the number of bows with your knees, make sure you keep bowing in your heart. Which, by the way, also applies to those who do not bow due to physical difficulties.
 
well this is my take on it
according to the rule of St Benedict the monk who takes care of the kitchen, scrubs the dishes and pots and pans, is to treat those items as he would the vessels for Mass and to teach that duty as sacred as any other other loftier work of the monks. the work of cleaning and preparing the Church for Mass and liturgy is akin to that of cleaning and preparing the altar, vestments, vessels, cloths etc. and is direct preparation for the Eucharist in the same order as presenting the gifts, preparing the altar. So as the sacred ministers do when they enter for liturgy, they make their profound sign of adoration as they enter and again when they leave at the end of their duties, so you do the same. I try to make my first genuflexion also a short prayer offering to Him the work I am about to do and asking his blessing on it.
 
I know you are supposed to bow in front of the tabernacle, and have always done so when crossing in front of it. However, I recently signed up for the sacristan ministry, where I help clean the church before the weekend masses. My first time was last weekend and I liked to drove myself batty making sure I bowed before it whenever I passed. I had to vacuum the carpet in front of it, and that was very difficult to do and bow at the same time. :rolleyes: I also had to dust the blessed sacrament altar, and the marble steps leading up to it. Then, the ladies came in with the greenery for Advent and asked me to help. At one point I had to cross in front of the tabernacle while holding a HUGE fern that was very heavy and I couldn’t see where I was going, much less bow. :o

I’m just wondering, in this kind of case, is there some leeway where you would just have to bow once or something, or is it technically required to do so each time?
We don’t bow, we genuflect to the Blessed Sacrament when contained within the taberncale. When working in the sanctuary it is not necessary to genuflect every time we cross in front of the tabernacle, just keep in mind who you are in the presence of. It is also not necessary to genuflect when carrying something large or heavy. However some kind of acknowledgement of the Blessed Sacrament is appropriate.
 
I know you are supposed to bow in front of the tabernacle, and have always done so when crossing in front of it. However, I recently signed up for the sacristan ministry, where I help clean the church before the weekend masses. My first time was last weekend and I liked to drove myself batty making sure I bowed before it whenever I passed. I had to vacuum the carpet in front of it, and that was very difficult to do and bow at the same time. :rolleyes: I also had to dust the blessed sacrament altar, and the marble steps leading up to it. Then, the ladies came in with the greenery for Advent and asked me to help. At one point I had to cross in front of the tabernacle while holding a HUGE fern that was very heavy and I couldn’t see where I was going, much less bow. :o

I’m just wondering, in this kind of case, is there some leeway where you would just have to bow once or something, or is it technically required to do so each time?
Depends on what is happening at the time. If you are just working in the sanctuary, then genuflect at the beginning and the end of your work would be appropriate, unless physical disability prevents this then a bow would suffice.

If the Mass is going on, the presiding ministers and servers would genuflect at the beginning and the end before processing out. Anytime between would be a bow to the altar, not the tabernacle. This did change somewhat after Vatican II along with the number of times you would make the sign of the cross, which should twice only; once at the beginning and once at the closing blessing.

While working I wouldn’t worry as long as respect and reverence for the location in which you are is understood and displayed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top