"Breaking the Silence" - documentary series about Old Order Amish

• Thread starter Thread starter EmilyAlexandra
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EmilyAlexandra

I found this series very interesting. It’s presented by an evangelical pastor whose father was an Old Order Amish minister. It’s partly a history of the Amish, partly an explanation about who they Amish are, and mostly about a family (and others) who left the Amish.

My only note of caution would be that one has to be a little suspicious of Pastor Graber’s motives in making the series. He is evidently proud of his Amish roots and talks about the Amish in an affectionate and respectful tone throughout. However, he also exposes what he believes to be theological errors in the Amish system of beliefs and way of life. His main charges against the Amish are (1) that they do not study the Bible and (2) that they believe that salvation is achieved through church membership and good works rather than through grace (Graber makes a pretty good case that both of these statements are in fact true). At the end of the last episode, I was a bit annoyed when he gave his testimony and appealed to viewers to give their lives to Jesus (it was a bit like every evangelical service I’ve ever been to, but on YouTube). That aside, this was interesting and informative, and I could really relate to the Graber family and their friends.

If it helps, a Catholic priest, Father Douglas Grandon, took part in the series, so I think it’s legit viewing for Catholics!

Last edited:
Ooh, I will check it out. I find the AmIsh to have many interesting yet diametrically opposed beliefs. They are very straitlaced and disciplined and yet allow their children to experience a certain period of time in their lives where they are pretty much allowed to do things that are the opposite of what they believe. Afterward, the join the church officially and it all goes away again. 🥴

My dad has very close ties to one Amish community. You know if you go to any of my family’s big events, there will be a noticeable Amish contingent. There are variances between communities, so, what is true for the community in this documentary may not be the same for another community.

I have to say, some of the best meals I have had are at Amish family tables!

There are variances between communities, so, what is true for the community in this documentary may not be the same for another community.
Yes, Graber does make this point over and over in fact. It was one of the things that led to his family leaving the Amish. They would move around from community to community finding that in one community they were allowed a certain kind of buggy and in another community they were allowed a different buggy. The last straw seemingly was when they joined a community that didn’t allow horses. They began to realise that every community had different rules and that the rules mostly dated from surprisingly recent history. This led to their suspecting that the rules were not really divinely ordained at all.
I have to say, some of the best meals I have had are at Amish family tables!
The food did look good. As I say, the overall tone is that he feels that the Amish are good people and that he got a lot out of his time with them. It’s by no means a hatchet job on the Amish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back