Bringing Children to Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter BranEroom
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BranEroom

Guest
I have recently returned to the Catholic Church. I was married outside of the Church to a protestant woman. I had never attended Mass in my 10 year marriage. My wife assumed Spiritual leader of the family and my children have attended a protestant church for years. My wife is not opposed to our children going with me to Church too, however 4 children by myself is overwhelming and distracting. My wife refuses to go with me. I did have my children baptized Catholic even in my time away from the Catholic faith. Is it a mortal sin if I hold off bringing my children to mass until I feel confident in handling them by myself? I have full intention of enrolling my children in Catechism this upcoming year. I confessed my failure of not being a Spiritual leader in my family.
 
Welcome BranEroom!

How old are your children? Perhaps you should just bring the older ones if they are able to sit still. It is not necessary to bring babies or young toddlers although people are encouraged to do so. If you are not able to bring all of them, do not feel bad. Please do not call yourself a failure. You are working to fix that now, right? If you recently returned to mass, you might want to go to confession, as well as meet your priests but introducing yourself sometime.
 
8, 6, 4, and 18mos are the ages now. I recently went to confession and feel it was a good confession from the heart (including my failure as a Spiritual leader). I do not want to be in a continuous state of mortal sin for every time I fail to bring my children. I want to receive Communion in confidence. I am easily distracted as it is. Especially with trying to relearn our responses during Mass and to try to maintain focus on the Consecration of the Holy Eucharist.
 
Last edited:
It is not a mortal sin for you to not bring your children. Children do not need to come until they are at the age of reason, which some believe to be about seven.perhaps you can bring the older 2 with you and get them used to going.

But give yourself time to get used to everything by yourself for a while. Welcome back!
 
Last edited:
Please hang out on CAF and ask all the questions you want. You can also use the search feature to look for old threads as well.
 
Hi and Welcome!
Your situation reminds me of what they tell you on a plane. If the oxygen masks come down, put one on yourself first before taking care of your kids.

The kids are at home with their mom. They’re well taken care of. Take that time at mass and soak it in. Build your connection with Christ and the sacraments. Your kids are going to get a dad that is renewed and refreshed. One step at a time.

Welcome home.
 
Welcome!

The 8 and 6 year old are ready to be enrolled in Sacramental Prep.

Getting back to the practice of your faith, getting your marriage regularized, all of this may seem overwhelming but know it is all joy 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top