Broken body/mind + Eucharist =?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Penguin2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Penguin2

Guest
I am going to a wedding on Saturday. Wahey! It’s a Traditional Latin Mass. I have n e v e r been to Latin Mass. I’m open to it, I’ve just never done it. Latin is a beautiful language, mass is a beautiful thing. My problem lies with receiving Eucharist. Two reasons. 1. I have a broken leg. I have fractured my fibula and tibia. I can’t kneel. What do I do at the rail? 2. I have severe ocd. I mean, it’s bad. It’s really bad. Tongues, to me, are DIRTY. Do t like them. I have always received Eucharist in my hands. My friend has told me that “that’s the rules”, and I need to do it, but I know I will spend all the mass juuust thinking about my tongue. I would rather think of the mass. So my question is: do I stand or sit? Do I receive on repulsive tongue, which will absorb all my thoughts so I can’t even think of anything else? Or is it ok to receive in hand?
 
I suppose not, but what do I still do? Just stay in my pew? But also, I want to receive communion. Just not on the dirty dirty tongue. Tongues are foul. I don’t want to stick mine out. I’m having severe anxiety over this. I want to receive, but in my hands. Is that reeeeally not allowed?
 
☝️ This. If you talked to Father before hand about your broken leg, you’d likely be able to receive while standing. But I’ve never seen anyone receive at the EF on their hands. It is always the tongue. When I was an EMHC, I got very good at administering communion on the tongue without touching it. I imagine a priest is ten-times better than I ever was or could be.
 
I don’t know the priest as it’s a church a looong way away. I’ll try to get in touch about my leg, and I’m glad I can stand. But he tongue is causing me great anxiety. I know it’s better, I just can’t handle it. I just think tongues are dirty. I’m sorry. I always wash my hands before receiving, and that’s how I’m comfortable. I’ll look into spiritual communion, but I don’t want to never receive again because I do it ‘wrong’.
 
I don’t know the priest as it’s a church a looong way away. I’ll try to get in touch about my leg, and I’m glad I can stand. But he tongue is causing me great anxiety. I know it’s better, I just can’t handle it. I just think tongues are dirty. I’m sorry. I always wash my hands before receiving, and that’s how I’m comfortable. I’ll look into spiritual communion, but I don’t want to never receive again because I do it ‘wrong’.
I’m sorry, I wish I could offer some way to help with the tongue, but I doubt I could offer anything helpful. There is no option for the laity (or anyone except the presider) to receive on the hands. Those are the rubrics.
 
This is sad. I want to receive! But I am seriously limited by the tongue. I just can’t do it. I’m so sad.
 
This is sad. I want to receive! But I am seriously limited by the tongue. I just can’t do it. I’m so sad.
You can do what @(name removed by moderator) said and do a spiritual communion. Or maybe try and offer up your tremendous discomfort for something?
 
I will try to take communion. I will try. I really really will. But (I’ve never been to TLM), could I just get a blessing if it’s too much? By crossing my arms? Apologies, I’ve only been to English mass.
 
I will try to take communion. I will try. I really really will. But (I’ve never been to TLM), could I just get a blessing if it’s too much? By crossing my arms? Apologies, I’ve only been to English mass.
It’s fine! And you should be able to. No promises, but you should be able to. You’ll still need to talk to the priest about your leg though because blessings are received at the communion rail while kneeling.
 
I’ll google the priest! And email him. Or ring him. But I will sort this out. I want to receive - it’s a joyous occasion. Hopefully standing blessing will work. I’ll update you!
 
No - please don’t feel that you’re doing something wrong. There is nothing wrong with receiving in the hands (at the Ordinary Form Mass; the rubrics at the Extraordinary Form don’t permit it, as has been said). Also, please don’t fall into that “tongue is better” nonsense.
 
That is so nice of you. When I did my FHC, my mum told me to receive on my tongue. I didn’t lie tongues eve then, and spent the whole mass worrying about it. So much so, I wet the pew. I can’t do tongues. If it’s expected in Latin Mass, I’ll get a blessing. A standing blessing, bloody leg!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top