Brown Scapular and Miraculous Medal devotions

• Thread starter Thread starter Melonie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Melonie

I have a Miraculous Medal and a Brown Scapular. Do I just put them on and wear them or are there acts of consecration to perform, blessings to receive from the priest, etc…?

Not positive on the Miraculous medal, but if you wish to receive the full graces from wearing the brown scapular, you need to be invested.

Find a Priest who is familiar with the prayers of investment. It is not the scapular itself that is invested, but the person. It takes about 10 minutes. So, once invested, you can go buy a new scapular and put it on without any additional blessing necessary.

Once invested, you can wear the scapular as a means of devotion - wear it as much as possible, and you do not need to say any specific prayers. However, there are additional promises associated with the scapular for those who say the Little Office each day.

I am invested, and I always say a prayer as I put it on in the morning, but do not say the Little Office.

Thanks, gomer tree. I am in the process of finding out when one of the priests at my parish might be able to invest me.

gomer tree:
Once invested, you can wear the scapular as a means of devotion - wear it as much as possible, and you do not need to say any specific prayers. However, there are additional promises associated with the scapular for those who say the Little Office each day.

I am invested, and I always say a prayer as I put it on in the morning, but do not say the Little Office.
I have two additional questions, if you don’t mind. Aren’t you supposed to wear it all the time? Is every priest able to “invest” a person?

Yes, you must wear them all the time. some priests have faculties to invest, most don’t. Ask your parish priest. You might have to shop around a bit.

Here’s an update (I’m so excited!)–

This Friday is Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. One of our parish priests called me back this morning and said he would invest me and my son after noon Mass on that day. That will make it extra special, I think. I am also having some rosaries blessed on that day.

I found this on a sheet of paper I found folded in the baggy with the brown scapular:

"According to a statement made by the Carmelite Fathers, at the National Scapular Center, every Priest now has the right to invest the Faithful in the Brown Scapular, and to substitute the Rosary in lieu of the ‘Little Office.’ " The Little Office is something I’m not familiar with, but is one of the required devotions for wearing the scapular, unless as stated above, the priest gives permission to substitute with the Rosary.

There is also a small crucifix and a booklet called The Rule of St. Benedict, and a Jubilee Medal of St. Benedict attached to the cord of the scapular (also referred to in the booklet as the Medal Cross of St. Benedict.)

Mothers Boy:
I have two additional questions, if you don’t mind. Aren’t you supposed to wear it all the time? Is every priest able to “invest” a person?
You are supposed to wear it “all the time.” However, I know nobody who wears it in the shower. I know nobody who wears it while swimming. I choose not to wear it to bed, because it gets tangled. Others may choose to do this. I personally believe that if you tell me I am erring by not wearing it to bed, then it is bordering on superstition. It is an outward sign of devotion - a reminder, an item of witness, etc.

So, yes. Wear it as much as you can. If you feel the need to wear it to bed, then do so. I wear it during all waking hours (after I shower!)

gomer tree:
You are supposed to wear it “all the time.” However, I know nobody who wears it in the shower. I know nobody who wears it while swimming. I choose not to wear it to bed, because it gets tangled. Others may choose to do this. I personally believe that if you tell me I am erring by not wearing it to bed, then it is bordering on superstition. It is an outward sign of devotion - a reminder, an item of witness, etc.

So, yes. Wear it as much as you can. If you feel the need to wear it to bed, then do so. I wear it during all waking hours (after I shower!)
I’ve been wearing mine all the time, pool, shower, etc. I guess I don’t want to turn it into a superstition but I have the thought, what if you die in your sleep? I guess we should wear it how we’re called too? Thanks for the answers gomer tree…

:blessyou:

Mothers Boy:
I’ve been wearing mine all the time, pool, shower, etc. I guess I don’t want to turn it into a superstition but I have the thought, what if you die in your sleep? I guess we should wear it how we’re called too? Thanks for the answers gomer tree…

:blessyou:
Huh. I guess I now know one person who wears it in the shower!

👍

I’d like to think that if I die in my sleep, I will have a fate no worse than a faithful person who doesn’t wearing the Scapular, and hopefully a few additional graces to boot.

I wear the scapular all the time, even in the shower, as for the medal, there is a little prayer that you are supposed to say as far as I know from time to time, given to Saint Cathrine Laboure, " Oh Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee"

Hi Folks!

About the Miraculous Medal. The medal is dedicated to Our Lady of the Miraclous Medal as she appeared in the Rue Du Bac in Paris in 1830. It is one of the few sacramentals of the Church that has a perpatual novena associated with it. A novena is usually nine days of prayer in petition but a perpetual one is said once a week for all time. The perpetual novena is said on Monday’s. Some of our Churches include it after the Mass. The text for the novena can be found at thesacredheart.com/n3.htm

http://www.svdpusa.org/my/image/123400_c_sU127440_s_i139891/Miraculous Medal.jpg

Blessings,
Fergal
Ireland

How about the white scapular aka Our Lady of Mercy, do you receive the same graces as the brown scapular? Any specific prayer associated with the white scapular?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back