Brown Scapular Enrollment

• Thread starter Thread starter starrs0
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starrs0

Is the simple blessing of a Brown Scapular and the praying of a Hail Mary make one invested in the Brown Scapular I wanted to be enrolled for quite som time but had to wait until I was fully Catholic and when my parish priest found time to do this he forgat teh pamphlet I gave him but I read somewhere about the above method so we did it instead of the one printed on the pamphlet is that ok or would I have to do the other one?

There is an official enrollment. You can get it from the Carmelites or in the Book of Blessings. Have the priest do it for you. It only takes a minute.

Can someone explain the ‘Brown Scapular’ to me? I’ve never heard of this but have seen it referenced several times on this forum. Thank you!

Here’s some info for you Elzee:

banner.faithweb.com/ch4bscroll-scapularbrown.htm

The Question of enrollment for me has been settled I found this on EWTN website:
Investiture

Conferral with the scapular indicates a special devotion and consecration to Mary. No one should undertake it who is not spiritual prepared to live in accordance with it.

The short form of investing or conferral consists of a priest or deacon taking a blessed scapular and while placing it over their head reciting with the person any Marian prayer (e.g. Hail Mary, Memorare, Salve Regina). The person is now invested. They don’t have any lists to join, though they are henceforth members of the Scapular Confraternity and share in its spiritual benefits (the prayers of the members). No special daily practices are obliged, though someone consecrated to Mary, of which the scapular is THE sign, should live chastity according to their state and recite the rosary daily.

There is also a long form in the Book of Blessings*,*** chapter 46, which is very fitting for group investments. Every parish should have this ritual book.

For some years the Carmelite Order had permission from Rome to grant laity the Indult to enroll people. This permission is no longer given, but those who received the Indult in the past still have it. So, while laity may not bless a scapular, there are some lay people who can invest others, with a scapular previously blessed by a priest or deacon.

One final note, investing MUST be done with the cloth scapular. Those who wish to wear the medal can do so after investment. The scapular blessing attaches to each subsequent scapular. A new blessing is NOT required. This is not true of the medal, each of which must be blessed by a priest or deacon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back