• Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FuzzyBunny116

I was reading about the Brown Scapalcur given by Mary, and I have a question:

I was at this site: olrl.org/pray/rosary.shtml

And found:

“Many Catholics may not know that it is the wish of our Holy Father, the Pope, that the Scapular Medal should not be worn in place of the Cloth Scapular without sufficient reason. Mary cannot be pleased with anyone who substitutes the medal out of vanity or fear to make open profession of religion. Such persons run the risk of not receiving the promise.”

Is that true? It sounds a lot to me like there’s no point in the Miraculous Medal with this scapalcur around. (I’m assuming the Miraculous Medal and The Scapular Medal are the same. I’ve never heard of the Scapular Medal) I know that if I wore this scapalcur to school, I’d be the laughing stock of it until I’m finally out-it also seems like it would fall off a lot. Is it alright to wear the medal instead? This little passage seems to scare me away from the medal…

I have worn the Brown Scapular for a long time…including some of my years in school. If you wear it under your shirt, who is to know?

Unfortunately, I can offer you no advice about the Miraculous Medal. I am unfamiliar with the Scapular vs. Medal debate.

The miraculous medal is different than the scapular medal. The scapular medal is a medal that can be worn (under certain circumstances) instead of the brown scapular. I think it’s a medal with an image of the Divine Mercy on it. If you can were the cloth scapular…you should wear it instead in my opinion.

The Miraculous Medal, like the brown scapular, is a wonderful sacramental with it’s own wonderful story behind it’s introduction to the faithful.

BTW - the brown scapular I wear is this one:
http://store1.yimg.com/I/christtheking_1841_7714786
but I put switched the crucifix and benedictine medal it came with for a Miraculous Medal and papal crucifix. So I wear 'em both…couldn’t choose between the two!

I think it looks good, don’t think you’d be teased for it by anybody with any degree of class. Besides, Meg Gibson wears it, so it must be “cool” 😉 :

http://store1.yimg.com/I/christtheking_1840_2028477

Peace,

DustinsDad

Eh? It shows there it’s being worn around his neck. On the site I found, it sounds like that it needs to be worn over the shoulder, sorta like a purse or something.

40.png
FuzzyBunny116:
Eh? It shows there it’s being worn around his neck. On the site I found, it sounds like that it needs to be worn over the shoulder, sorta like a purse or something.
It will make more sense when you actually see one in person. You wear it around your neck. There are actually two pieces of wool at either end. One is on your chest, while the other is on your back. Depending on how you look at it, you can say over your shoulders as well. Go to a local Catholic book store to see one in person. One other thing is that when you read about the history of it, it may talk about hanging on your shoulder as the original scapulars were much larger and actually hung on your shoulders. They still went over your head, bur due to their size, rested on the shoulders. Also, keep in mind that your shoulder bone is known as the scapular.

The brown scapular is the habit of the Order of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. As a Lay Carmelite I may be able to answer your questions with a bit more inside information. 😉

First of all, about the Scapular Medal. It is perfectly all right for people to substitute the medal for the cloth scapular. As a Lay Carmelite, I wear the cloth because I am a member of the Order. Those who are simply enrolled, though may wear the medal instead since they have not made solemn promises but have been blessed only.

Secondly, the Miraculous Medal and the Scapular Medal are different from each other. The MM medal commemorates the visions of St. Catherine Laboure in Paris France and depicts Our Lady as she requested she be depicted for that medal.

The Scapular Medal has an image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus on one side and an image of Our Lady of Mount Carmel holding the Christ Child on the other. The SM medal was originally intended for people whose occupations, such as soldiers, or whose climate, such as those living in tropical climates, makes wearing the clothe either dangerous or forbidden or impractical. Later the privilege of wearing the medal instead of the cloth was extended to everyone enrolled in the scapular.

Some people feel that the cloth is more of a commitment, but this really isn’t true. Since both are sacramentals and not elements of the sacraments themselves, either one can be worn with equal “value” and meaning.

As to how to wear a scapular. The scapular has two panels of brown cloth, usually wool, but any dark brown cloth is fine to use, especially for those allergic to wool. It is worn with one panel laying on the back and the other laying on the chest with the strings over the shoulders. This is the proper way to wear the scapular, not any other.

I hope this helps everyone. God bless you, and may Mary cover you with the mantle of her special protection!

Hi,

I wear the brown scapular and have been simply enrolled. What I would like to know is whether or not I have to change it since the pictures on both bits of the scapular have all but worn off. I would dearly like to keep wearing this one since I’ve had it for a while and don’t know where I can get another nice one like it. Does it really matter whether or not the pictures are visible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back