R
rpp
Guest
In early November, I was “offered” a new project at work (“your the only one who can fix this”). For those who know me a little, you may recall that I am a computer software developer and database administrator and have worked for the same employer, a well known outerwear (e.g. coats) manufacturer, for more than 14 years. This new project has taken absolutely all of my free time. Tonight is one of the few evenings that I have not had to work to the wee hours of the morning.
I am exhausted. I have wondered why I was tapped to take on this project and was told that it was because all the critical systems I have built and am responsible for, none of them require anyone to work after hours or overtime. I hope to get it stable by late spring.
The real problem was caused by an rogue employee who did what he wanted, did not document what he did, and did things in a non-standard manner. He has burned himself out because he took on too much responsibility. He is clearly exceptionally intelligent, but lacked formal training in the proper methods of programming. As a result, no one can figure out his programming code. As an example, myself and three other people, who have a combined experience of more than 110 years, have not been able to figure out what in the world he did and are surprised that it works (sort of) to begin with. Clearly the only solution is the rather expensive route of re-engineering the entire solution - from scratch.
Okay. I guess I have vented enough. Thank you for bearing with me.
(This is one of two reasons I have not posted much lately.)
I am exhausted. I have wondered why I was tapped to take on this project and was told that it was because all the critical systems I have built and am responsible for, none of them require anyone to work after hours or overtime. I hope to get it stable by late spring.
The real problem was caused by an rogue employee who did what he wanted, did not document what he did, and did things in a non-standard manner. He has burned himself out because he took on too much responsibility. He is clearly exceptionally intelligent, but lacked formal training in the proper methods of programming. As a result, no one can figure out his programming code. As an example, myself and three other people, who have a combined experience of more than 110 years, have not been able to figure out what in the world he did and are surprised that it works (sort of) to begin with. Clearly the only solution is the rather expensive route of re-engineering the entire solution - from scratch.
Okay. I guess I have vented enough. Thank you for bearing with me.
(This is one of two reasons I have not posted much lately.)