Business advertising at Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter tsering
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I used the word absurd I did so after thoughtful contemplation. I too venture into the absurd at times and I like to push the envelope, however Matthew 21 just isn’t applicable.

There is no business transaction going on during or contemporaneously with the service. No one is being robbed or cheated and the bulletin should not be distributed during the service.

Peace, g
No problem. I see your point. Most protestants I know interpret Mt. 21 that way and now I see why Catholics think that interpretation is absurd. Thanks. 👍

Peace
 
One thing that some Catholics may not be aware of is that in most Protestant churches, the bulletin is distributed by the ushers before the worship service, as it contains the “Order of Service.”

The Order of Service gives the order in which things will happen during the worship service; e.g., Prelude, Opening Prayer, Opening Hymn or Praise and Worship Time, Welcome and Announcements, Testimonies, Choir Anthem, Pastoral Prayer, Scripture Reading, Sermon, Hymn of Invitation, Closing Prayer. (This is just an example–it’s what I grew up with in a Baptist church.)

So the Protestant bulletin is actually a “program,” like those given out during plays and concerts.

In the Protestant churches that I attended, the printed bulletin was considered a “worship aid.” In fact, in some Protestant churches today, it is actually called “your worship aid” instead of “the bulletin.”

So you can see why the OPs wife is a bit upset with the advertising in something that she perceives as a “worship aid.” It would be like opening the Missallette and finding several pages of makeup, food, and car ads. Not exactly conducive to worship.

I personally agree with everyone on this thread–the Catholic parish bulletin is more of a newsletter than a bulletin, and in this venue, advertising is appropriate and welcome, not only because of the funding of the newsletter, but because it creates a feeling of community among the parishioners.
 
Another thing that Catholics might be interested in knowing–in many of the non-denominational Protestant churches, bulletins or “worship aids” are no longer printed or used at all.

In many of these churches, there is no regular “order of service.” Instead, the pastors or worship leader(s) rely on the Holy Spirit to guide the service. Every service is different, and services may include things that weren’t expected by the pastors and/or worship leaders; e.g., a spontaneous testimony time, a healing, a message in tongues and the interpretation, a hymn or spiritual song, etc., a guest speaker, a guest soloists, etc.

The church “news” and announcments are distributed online.

This is also a way for these churches to avoid spending money on something that is rather archaic. Online is good for announcements and news, IMO. I wish that our Catholic parishes would go this route, and save the time and money that is currently spent on paper bulletins. JMO.
 
This is also a way for these churches to avoid spending money on something that is rather archaic. Online is good for announcements and news, IMO. I wish that our Catholic parishes would go this route, and save the time and money that is currently spent on paper bulletins. JMO.
Maybe when I get some time I can offer to make our parish a website? I was part of the graphic design department of a ministry for sometime, and designed a website for our missionary work in China back in the days. Actually a few of the parishes have websites in our diocese, but they’re sparse. Great idea!

Peace.
 
The church “news” and announcments are distributed online.

This is also a way for these churches to avoid spending money on something that is rather archaic. Online is good for announcements and news, IMO. I wish that our Catholic parishes would go this route, and save the time and money that is currently spent on paper bulletins. JMO.
That would not work so well in my parish. There are just too many people who do not have any internet access, except public libraries. I think many other immigrant heavy parishes will be in the same boat.
 
That would not work so well in my parish. There are just too many people who do not have any internet access, except public libraries. I think many other immigrant heavy parishes will be in the same boat.
And parishes with a lot of elderly people. Before anyone bashes me over the head with a cane, :o I’m thinking of people like my parents who don’t own a computer and at this point in their lives have no interest in learning how to use one. Which is totally okay.
 
Of course there are many people who do not have access to the internet, but I think this will rapidly change in the next few years.

In the meantime, all who DO have internet access would have the option of not taking a bulletin and saving the parish some money.
 
What are your thoughts of having a paid business advertising section in the parish bulletin which is passed out at Mass every week?

My first thought is Mt. 21:12-13.

Peace.
of course if your parishioners are willing to tithe to underwrite the cost of printing the bulletin or otherwise informing them of news and so forth, then the advertising would not be necessary, would it? Those businesses pay for those ads, and the ads on the calendar, festival program and whatever else is going on. Moreover they also are usually owned by parishioners, and many people prefer to patronize their own parishioners whenever possible.

and not to be picky, the bulletin should be both distributed and read after, NOT during Mass, so the problem considered in OP does not arise.
 
Of course there are many people who do not have access to the internet, but I think this will rapidly change in the next few years.

In the meantime, all who DO have internet access would have the option of not taking a bulletin and saving the parish some money.
Good point. If we had the bulletin on-line, I certainly wouldn’t fumble with a paper copy. I was thinking about using a phone to do online banking and making a transfer during the offertory. But perhaps that is a little too progressive, at least at this time.
 
Good point. If we had the bulletin on-line, I certainly wouldn’t fumble with a paper copy. I was thinking about using a phone to do online banking and making a transfer during the offertory. But perhaps that is a little too progressive, at least at this time.
But the problem is with the iPhone that people pay money NOT to see the ads. So putting the bulletin on one’s phone may defeat the purpose of those ads.
 
What are your thoughts of having a paid business advertising section in the parish bulletin which is passed out at Mass every week?

My first thought is Mt. 21:12-13.

Peace.
No different than Nike sponsoring cancer research, though I am no fan of Nike.

As others have said, the Mass and the Church itself should have no advertising whatsoever in it. Even schools resent having such influences within their realms. Nothing should distract from the object ; however, the parish bulletin is news and information, and advertisements here are likewise of the same nature. Now if those advertisements were promoting something sinful, or the companies themselves were aligned with sinful causes or promoting sin, then of course they should not be allowed, but promoting say, for example, a Catholic business that followed the Magisterium - this would be beneficial not only to the business but Catholicism in general, as, for example, a Catholic clothing company that was inspired by Catholic teaching on the dignity of the person and appropriate dress for Catholic ladies, gentlemen or their children.

Pax Christi,
Tim
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top