By faith alone, a catholic misunderstanding

  • Thread starter Thread starter jjsmity
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Off topic -time

Many people wish to talk on the Eucharist,church history and site the normal catholic passages and arguments anyone who watches debates with catholic apologist are aware of such as myself] and why not? this is a catholic apolitical website. I have not helped by making a few statements in reply I should not have. I hope you all understand I am current short on time, notice my reply’s get much shorter as time goes] when I do have time I will be doing new threads on new topics likely james and how works relates to salvation as that seemed needed most, than further threads. I thank you all for your post and opinions, I am here more to try and bring the two groups together than debate. but I am passionate about defending what I believe against anyone so I will when needed. I would suggest people watch as many debates with protestants as you can to clarify what seems to be many misunderstandings. I again am truly sorry but I barley have time for on topic at moment, I will lay out the protestant case for further threads in future on subjects.
You all have been very nice and kind and i thank you for answering questions.

BTW. I just received the glory of the crusades by steve weidenkopf and his video on the inquisitions.
 
Code:
If you read my op it says **works are proof** they are what shows, the fruit of belief/faith. Not saved by works, but they are the proof, like Hebrews 11 there works showed their faith, paul says by faith, yet he is just mentioning their works. No protestant denies works as "part" of sanctification, just not what saves, that's all jesus.
News flash, jj, the works are “all Jesus” also. The same grace that produces saving faith in us produces the works that befit repentance. They are not separated.

They are not what saves. Grace is what saves.
 
jjsmity-here’s the thing about protestantism and the terms that they use: if you’re going to coin a phrase (i.e. faith alone) then your definition must follow fronting basic idea of the words themselves.

If you’re going to say that we are saved by faith, and that in order prove that faith you must do works or else that faith is a dead faith, then you are necessarily adding something to faith in order to be saved and thus you are not really saved by faith alone but by faith and works. So at best “faith alone” is really a distinction without a difference from the basic understanding of Catholic Faith which you are protesting against. If works are necessary to “prove” faith then works are necessary to be saved.

And you seem to depart from other Baptists whom I have spoken with(such as the "free grace baptists) who take the position that works are meaningless to faith and that “faith alone” strictly means faith alone.

If anything the confusion if not mostly but completely stems from the varied and confused theologies from protestant theologians trying to sell their particular brands of christianity.
 
News flash, jj, the works are “all Jesus” also. The same grace that produces saving faith in us produces the works that befit repentance. They are not separated.

They are not what saves. Grace is what saves.
that is no news flash to me but thanks, i n fact i quoted ccc on this very thing on this thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top