E
exiled
Guest
It is my understanding of sola scriptura that only the teachings of the apostles had/have any authority. Now that they are gone, it is only their writings that we have to rely on for our faith, since they are the only ones who were originally give some charism of “infallibility” in order to establish “the church” in the first place. Which brings me to my question. By what authority do SS-ist reject, or not include, letters from Matthias, Philip, Thomas, Andrew, Bartholomew, etc.
And by the same token, by what authority do they include books by Luke and Mark? Paul also was not one of the 12, but I will grant that he received a special commission so I guess he is considered an apostle.
SS-ists seem to want it both ways, either the apostles alone had teaching authority, or it is extended to others as God sees fit.
And by the same token, by what authority do they include books by Luke and Mark? Paul also was not one of the 12, but I will grant that he received a special commission so I guess he is considered an apostle.
SS-ists seem to want it both ways, either the apostles alone had teaching authority, or it is extended to others as God sees fit.