Call me not Naomi?

  • Thread starter Thread starter St_Annes
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

St_Annes

Guest
We use a book for the stations of the cross in which the words of Naomi from the first chapter of Ruth are placed on the lips of Mary: “Call me not Naomi (that is, beautiful), but call me Mara (that is, bitter), for the Almighty has afflicted me and has dealt quite bitterly with me.”
I’m just not sure if this sits right with me; it almost seems like it borders on being disrespectful.
Any thoughts? Thanks
 
I think it simply means “bitter” in the sense that Our Lady has tasted the bitterness of great sorrow from watching her Son die.

As Simeon said “a sword shall pierce your heart…”
 
We use a book for the stations of the cross in which the words of Naomi from the first chapter of Ruth are placed on the lips of Mary: “Call me not Naomi (that is, beautiful), but call me Mara (that is, bitter), for the Almighty has afflicted me and has dealt quite bitterly with me.”
I’m just not sure if this sits right with me; it almost seems like it borders on being disrespectful.
Any thoughts? Thanks
Who wrote and published this book?
 
This thread inspired me to read the book of Ruth, a beautiful story.

I still see no connection between Naomi and Mary. I suspect that the publisher of your book came upon an illustration of Naomi mourning and mistook it for Mary, or incorrectly assumed there was some parallel between the lives of Naomi and Mary.

With which of the Stations of the Cross does that illustration appear?

In my opinion, the words of Naomi are not disrespectful. A more favorable interpretation is that she recognizes God as the master of the world (verse 20) and its just judge (verse 21). I got that from a footnote in the New American Bible which I quote here:
Naomi’s despair is made clear by her play on the meaning of her name in v. 20 and now [in v. 21] by her accusation, like that in many psalms and in Job, that God has acted harshly toward her. The language belongs to the realm of judicial proceedings. By crying out in this way, the faithful Israelite opens the door to change, since the cry assumes that God hears and will do something about such seemingly unjust circumstances.
Indeed, God looks after Naomi and Ruth and provides well for their needs.
 
It is from Collegeville - Liturgical Press.
My concern was the second part of the quote: " for the Almighty has afflicted me and has dealt quite bitterly with me."
 
It is from Collegeville - Liturgical Press.
My concern was the second part of the quote: " for the Almighty has afflicted me and has dealt quite bitterly with me."
Oh brother. :rolleyes:

Give me the old “Way of the Cross” anytime. Although I have seen some for Children and Youth that are beautifully written and accessible to young people. 🤷
 
We use a book for the stations of the cross in which the words of Naomi from the first chapter of Ruth are placed on the lips of Mary: “Call me not Naomi (that is, beautiful), but call me Mara (that is, bitter), for the Almighty has afflicted me and has dealt quite bitterly with me.”
I’m just not sure if this sits right with me; it almost seems like it borders on being disrespectful.
Any thoughts? Thanks
To me it just sounds like Mary is commenting on how her given name is an expression of her current feelings. Quoting scriptures that express one’s feelings was as common in Mary’s day as it is in our own.

I don’t think “bitterness” in this sense means “resentful” if that is your concern. Rather “bitter” means heart-broken.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top