Called to two Orders?

• Thread starter Thread starter Benignus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Benignus

For the last couple of weeks I have really been trying to discern God’s call on my life. However, for some strange reason, I feel called to the Trappists and the Dominicans. It’s really strange. Is it possible that God is leaving the choice up to me? Is it possible that He will be pleased if I am a Trappist or Dominican?

I know this seems trivial, but I have really been struggling with it. Then, yesterday, a particular tree really stood out to me while I was walking outside. The Lord helped me to understand that all religious Orders are branches of the same tree, that is, the Church. They are all serving God in various capacities. Some bear more fruit than others. Some are larger, some are smaller, etc.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice, insights, comments, etc, it would really help.

Part of how we bring glory to God is in our choices.

Often, when we turn something over to God in total surrender, he returns it to us and says “You choose.”

In the early 90’s I was debating whether to become a priest or get married. I had pray on it and gave it totally to God. He came back and gave me the choice. I agonized over the choice and finally choose as my choice whatever would glorify Him the most. He accepted this, and gave me a woman (who was abused as a child and abused by her child) to marry and help make her whole again. It has not been easy.

So pray on it, discern His Will, and follow it. If His Will is for you to choose, research, pray, and choose in obedience.

Is it possible that becoming a Dominican and becoming a Trappist are equally good things? Is it possible that both bring glory to the Lord?

40.png
Ziggamafu:
Can we only join one?
Usually yes. It requires special permissions (papal, I think) to belong to more than one religious order at a time.

The orders would know the specifics of it.

Even people who are currently in a religious order who found new orders leave their former order to go to the new one.

T.A.Stobie:
Part of how we bring glory to God is in our choices.

Often, when we turn something over to God in total surrender, he returns it to us and says “You choose.”

In the early 90’s I was debating whether to become a priest or get married. I had pray on it and gave it totally to God. He came back and gave me the choice. I agonized over the choice and finally choose as my choice whatever would glorify Him the most. He accepted this, and gave me a woman (who was abused as a child and abused by her child) to marry and help make her whole again. It has not been easy.

So pray on it, discern His Will, and follow it. If His Will is for you to choose, research, pray, and choose in obedience.
Thank you very much for your wonderful advice. It has helped me very much. I now see that if I become a Dominican, I am not failing God because I am not a Trappist, and vice versa. I believe that the Lord will make clear to me, particularly through circumstances, what He wants me to do. I am only 16 years old, so I have a lot of time to discern.

You see, this past July I spent a week at a Trappist monastery. Coming away from that experience, I was so sure that God wanted me to be a Trappist. However, lately I have been feeling drawn to the Dominicans. There have been any number of things that have happened that you could interpret as being a confirmation to join the Trappists or the Dominicans. I really want to do what God truly wants me to do, and not just follow my own will. Maybe I am just balking at the sacrifices that life as a Trappist would demand of me. I certainly don’t want to choose the Dominicans simply because I feel that their lifestyle is “easier” in the sense of being more comfortable.

I am sorry for rambling on like this, but I am really confused at the moment. Please pray that the Lord will make clear to me what His will is, and then give me the grace to obey.

Nick, you have years to make the decision. Most orders require you wait at least a year after you enter the church prior to applying.

Just prepare well and look through the diversity of ways to serve the Lord and the different orders in the church. God usually leads one to someplace where their best talents are used.

You are in my prayers.

Dear Nick,

I thought it was perhaps a typo on your part when you said you were trying to discern God’s Will for you for “the last couple of weeks.” Weeks? It’s probably going to take longer than that. Not that it has to take longer but…For many people, saints included, discernment of what God wants, *exactly *, takes a lifetime.

You’re ahead of the game, at 16, to even be thinking about this. I would suggest visiting various communities and just seeing how it goes. God will be glorified most by you doing your best to do His Will and desiring with all your heart to do His Will.

By the way: for the moment, i’ll bet that God’s Will is that you finish high school!

Keep praying.

Dear Benignus,

I received the calling to religious life at 20 and I was much less on the ball than you. I am 34 now and still working it all out. I have lived in 3 very different communities and learned alot. But none of it was wasted time or a “mistake”. I grew through it all. I learned about myself and also the calling. We have matured together. The Lord has always been there with me through the stumbles and detours. I am so far beyond that 20 year old and better prepared for the life He is calling me to.

The reason I tell you all this is so that you will not let apparent failures or difficulties deter you. Offer yourself often to God without manipulation or conditions.

Read the Gospels and notice which parts of it really speak to you. See how those attractions are lived out in the communities you visit. Are there things in a community which don’t fit with the calling? What is it that you feel attracted to in a community and why? Are you romanticizing the life you see? This last one is very important for those looking into monastic life. You don’t need to commit to anything just because it seems attractive while you are on retreat there. The Lord will often give graces even when it is not the community or order for you. Listen to what He is saying and let it simmer.

You have time. A vocation is not a career. You don’t need to have it all worked out by 23 and reach some status by 30. All that matters is listening to the Holy Spirit and doing His will as best you can.

I will be praying for you.

T.A.Stobie:
Nick, you have years to make the decision. Most orders require you wait at least a year after you enter the church prior to applying.

Just prepare well and look through the diversity of ways to serve the Lord and the different orders in the church. God usually leads one to someplace where their best talents are used.

You are in my prayers.
Thank you very much for the sound advice. I definitely plan to go to college before I would attempt to enter any Religious Order. I am going to join the Church when I first go to college, and I will be in college for at least 4 years. So, this should give me plenty of time to discern, and also to get involved in the life of the Church.

Br. Dan:
Dear Nick,

I thought it was perhaps a typo on your part when you said you were trying to discern God’s Will for you for “the last couple of weeks.” Weeks? It’s probably going to take longer than that. Not that it has to take longer but…For many people, saints included, discernment of what God wants, *exactly *, takes a lifetime.

You’re ahead of the game, at 16, to even be thinking about this. I would suggest visiting various communities and just seeing how it goes. God will be glorified most by you doing your best to do His Will and desiring with all your heart to do His Will.

By the way: for the moment, i’ll bet that God’s Will is that you finish high school!

Keep praying.
You’re right. I think up to this point I have been very impatient. I wanted a quick answer, something that I could grasp onto. I want to have a plan. However, sometimes, many times, our plans are not God’s plans. I think rather than worry about what Order I am going to join I just need to serve God here and now. I need to live in the present not in the future. I am going to finish high school, and I hope to go to the University of Dallas. I want to major in Theology.

Thank you very much for you words of wisdom.

40.png
eremos:
Dear Benignus,

I received the calling to religious life at 20 and I was much less on the ball than you. I am 34 now and still working it all out. I have lived in 3 very different communities and learned alot. But none of it was wasted time or a “mistake”. I grew through it all. I learned about myself and also the calling. We have matured together. The Lord has always been there with me through the stumbles and detours. I am so far beyond that 20 year old and better prepared for the life He is calling me to.

The reason I tell you all this is so that you will not let apparent failures or difficulties deter you. Offer yourself often to God without manipulation or conditions.

Read the Gospels and notice which parts of it really speak to you. See how those attractions are lived out in the communities you visit. Are there things in a community which don’t fit with the calling? What is it that you feel attracted to in a community and why? Are you romanticizing the life you see? This last one is very important for those looking into monastic life. You don’t need to commit to anything just because it seems attractive while you are on retreat there. The Lord will often give graces even when it is not the community or order for you. Listen to what He is saying and let it simmer.

You have time. A vocation is not a career. You don’t need to have it all worked out by 23 and reach some status by 30. All that matters is listening to the Holy Spirit and doing His will as best you can.

I will be praying for you.
Thank you very much. Your words have truly helped me. You’re exactly right. I think I have been worrying too much about which Order I am going to join, and this has been to the detriment of my service to the Lord here and now. Now I see that I don’t have to have it all figured out. I don’t and will probably never know with 100% certainty which Order God wants me to join, but He will lead me. He will show me the way. He only gives us enough light to take the next step. This is a truth that I have known in my head but now truly know in my heart.

40.png
Benignus:
For the last couple of weeks I have really been trying to discern God’s call on my life. However, for some strange reason, I feel called to the Trappists and the Dominicans. It’s really strange. Is it possible that God is leaving the choice up to me? Is it possible that He will be pleased if I am a Trappist or Dominican?

I know this seems trivial, but I have really been struggling with it. Then, yesterday, a particular tree really stood out to me while I was walking outside. The Lord helped me to understand that all religious Orders are branches of the same tree, that is, the Church. They are all serving God in various capacities. Some bear more fruit than others. Some are larger, some are smaller, etc.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice, insights, comments, etc, it would really help.
I too feel called to priesthood. There is a NEW order which is orthodox, young and faithful, you may want to see their web-page: www.iveamerica.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back