Calling a person by their actions a sin or not?

  • Thread starter Thread starter John121
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John121

Guest
Hi I was wondering if say someone judged someone’s appearance and said they were not good enough for the women because of looks and you replied that this man or women is shallow is this a sin ?

A story was told to me about a man who did such a thing and I said this man was shallow and said I don’t mean to be offensive in saying that but just said what it was.

Please should in all cases not make judgments on people even if you saying what they do !
 
Last edited:
Stating facts is not “judgement” within the context of the Gospel. Saying that someone is going to hell is. There is a vast difference between the two.

Judging someone’s looks or appearance may be uncharitable, or it may simply be factual.
 
Last edited:
In the words of St Paul: ‘Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor.’
Context matters. If expressing your opinion helps build up, results in some good, then go ahead. If it demeans and leads to anger, etc. better to stay silent.
 
I am struggling somewhat to follow your account, but it seems that this is what you are saying happened:

Person A said that person B was “not good enough for the women” based on a judgement about his (or her?) appearance.

You said that person A was “shallow” for making this observation.

Assuming that I have understood correctly, I would agree that person A does sound shallow, and I would assure you that making that observation is not remotely sinful. There is nothing wrong with making a reasonable judgement about somebody’s behaviour. You would not, for example, consider it a sin if somebody were to call David Duke racist.
 
Oh thanks ya to be honest I’m learning a great deal about silence.

Even if someone does wrong I find it hard to say something negative to them I don’t know is this because of the society I live in now or what ?
 
We’re not to condemn by our judgments. So here’s another perspective from Jesus on judging:
"Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly." John 7:24
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top