D
DaveBj
Guest
I just noticed something that I had never seen before in the Hebrew text of the Psalms–in the phrase “Hallelu-Jah,” the final letter “he” of “Jah” has a dagesh-like dot in it. I say “dagesh-like,” because the letter “he” is not one of the letters that can take a dagesh, especially at the end of a word. I haven’t been able to find any explanation in the Hebrew texts that I have; one of them, in an explanation of the furtive patah, mentions the word “gavoah,” with a terminal “he” that has a dot, but it doesn’t explain the dot.
My guess (and it’s only a guess) is that the dot indicates that the final “he” is a real “he,” and not the final “he” that feminine words like “torah,” that turns into a “taw” in a construct (“torat Adonai,” “the Law of the Lord”).
Hebrew experts, am I close? And does this dot have a name (like “dagesh” for the consonant-doubling dot)?
DaveBj
My guess (and it’s only a guess) is that the dot indicates that the final “he” is a real “he,” and not the final “he” that feminine words like “torah,” that turns into a “taw” in a construct (“torat Adonai,” “the Law of the Lord”).
Hebrew experts, am I close? And does this dot have a name (like “dagesh” for the consonant-doubling dot)?
DaveBj