Can a Christian lose salvation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter englands123
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not an expert on this, but I believe Catholics believe you can and Baptists
believe you can’t.
 
If you’re talking about once saved always saved then the Catholic response would be yes you can forfeit your salvation.
 
Romans 8:39

39 or where we are—high above the sky, or in the deepest ocean—nothing will ever be able to separate us from the love of God demonstrated by our Lord Jesus Christ when he died for us.

I thought that meant once we belong to God we belong to God.

So the only loss of salvation would be our choice to turn our back on it.
 
To be honest I have not got a clue.
As a Catholic you should know the answer to that.
There is no such thing as salvation assurance as some Protestants believe.
If you die in a state of mortal sin you go immediately to Hell. That is the infallible teaching of the true and only Church established by Christ who gave it authority to teach in matters of faith and morals. Therefore all Church teachings have the full authority of God behind them.
 
Yes . Salvation can be lost by unrepented mortal sin . We must abide in the love of Christ and live in communion with His Church, with the grace through the sacraments.

St Paul in Romans 11:22 says… ‘‘Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.’’

Jesus in (John 15) says… “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.

“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love’’
 
Last edited:
Totus_tuus118

I’m not very good about bible verses, I’m sure I can look them up, but what about the verses that say…

— God will not leave or forsake us
— God will be there for us till the end of time
— Who should ever believe in Me (Jesus) shall have ever lasting life
— The Holy Spirit is in us, praying for us, guiding us… once you are filled with The Spirit you are filled with God.
— He will never let your righteousness be removed
— God has picked you, knew you before you were even born.

If God, promises to never leave you, promises to always be there for you, promises if you know His Son, believe in His Son you shall have ever lasting life… so how can you lose you’re salvation.

Its times like this I wish I knew scripture as well as others do… but if God says he chose you, you belong to Him, no one man or thing can ever take you away from Him… wouldn’t that mean the only way to lose salvation would be to turn your back on Him?
 
God doesn’t do the leaving. We do. We have a will and we have a choice about what we do and do not want and how we will and will not act.
 
Its not God who turns away from us , for God loves us and wills that all mankind be saved, its man who turns away from God when mortal sin is committed .

Your right though anna about Gods love , His love is constant , He is always calling us back to Him if we have fallen . I think one of the saints said that God is more eager to forgive a repentant sinner than a mother is to save her child from a fire.

God in his love prompts us to repent, but He respects our free will at the same time , so we have a choice to either turn to Him or God forbid, reject him by living in mortal sin .
 
Last edited:
wouldn’t that mean the only way to lose salvation would be to turn your back on Him?
This is exactly it. God will always be there for us, He has chosen us, He knew us in our mother’s womb. God also gave us free will to turn against Him if we choose. He laid out the rules very clearly as well the consequences if we choose to violate those rules. We have a choice, follow Jesus or go another direction.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top