Can a Christian trample on the cross?

• Thread starter Thread starter romano
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

romano

Can a Christian trample on the cross? Does the Divine Presence somehow inhere in the cross, or is the cross merely a material object?

40.png
romano:
Can a Christian trample on the cross? Does the Divine Presence somehow inhere in the cross, or is the cross merely a material object?
A cross is just an object, but it could certainly be disrespect for Christ himself, and consequently a sin, to trample on a cross.

I need :confused: more information here. What is the alternative? I mean, why on earth would the question arise? Obviously, you wouldn’t just do it…Is someone holding a gun to a loved one’s head or something???

40.png
Zooey:
I need :confused: more information here. What is the alternative? I mean, why on earth would the question arise? Obviously, you wouldn’t just do it…Is someone holding a gun to a loved one’s head or something???
Well, it’s well-known that in the past Christians have been forced, on pain of death, to trample on the Cross. And history can repeat itself.

40.png
Katie1723:
Why would you want to?
~ Kathy ~
I don’t want to. But there seems to be a growing hostility to the Cross and one day someone may want you to.

It is sacrilige to trample on the cross, which is a mortal sin. We should pray we are not forced to do so- and pray that if we are, that we have the courage to be willing to suffer everything- even death- for the sake of Christ and the Church.

40.png
m134e5:
It is sacrilige to trample on the cross, which is a mortal sin.
Yes, I would think so. But can you provide a reference for this, some official statement from the Church to this effect? Does the Church state anywhere that the Divine Presence inheres in the Cross?

40.png
m134e5:
It is sacrilige to trample on the cross, which is a mortal sin. We should pray we are not forced to do so- and pray that if we are, that we have the courage to be willing to suffer everything- even death- for the sake of Christ and the Church.
If someone is forced to do something such as trample over a cross under pain of death, I doubt that act would have the “full consent” neccesary for mortal sin. I have, however, a read story of a boy who chose to suffered death rather than renounce his faith by walk on a cross–that to me seems like a martyr’s death and demonstrates the type of heroic virtue that makes saints.

I want to add, floor patterns with tile sometimes have crosses (or x’s) designed into them, as does the grout between tiles. Inadvertantly walking on such shapes hardly seems like sacrilege. I think the intent of renouncing one’s faith (or of degrading a Christian symbol) is the sin behind trampling on the cross.

I also want to add to my above post, that while doing something like renouncing one’s faith under threat of death might lack the “complete consent” necessary for mortal sin, I would recommend anyone who did deny their faith under force should seek the sacrament of confession as soon as possible.

Peter denied Jesus at the crucifixion because he feared he might be killed, but he demonstrated great remorse over that and eventually suffered a martyr’s death. To be offered a martyr’s death is a great privledge, (although I personally would not go seeking out such a privledge.) If someone turns down the offer of a martyr’s death, and especially if doing so causes scandal to others, it should be confessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back