G
greatlakes
Guest
Can a priest be a godfather? i was asked this today, and i really have no idea…
thanks
thanks
Prior to the 1983 Code of Canon Law, priests and religious couldn’t be godparents. Since 1983 there is no rule against it.I don’t see why not. They are still people. They are still brothers, uncles, sons, cousins, nephews…they don’t stop being a “person” just because they are a Priest.
I don’t think they could both be Godfather and officiate the Baptism…that would just be weird.
Yes he most definitely can. Although I’ve never seen this in the Roman Church, I’ve seen it in the Ukrainian. The father is a preist, the godfather is a priest, and the godmother is the wife of the godfather priest. The Bishop did the Sacraments of Initiation.Can a priest be a godfather? i was asked this today, and i really have no idea…
thanks