Can anyone recommend any good saints to read about?

• Thread starter Thread starter FuzzyBunny116
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FuzzyBunny116

Are there any interesting saint lives (more interesting, I mean) that any of you suggest reading? I’m just looking for that sort of thing at the moment.

Hey Fuzzy,

I often am looking for similar things. Here are two I love to read about, the older the better I always say…

St. Lucy of Syracuse
St. Gregory the Wonderworker

I hope this helps.

just a few that come to mine:

sts. catherine of siena, teresa of avila, rose of lima

St. Ignatius of Loyola and St. Francis Xavier are pretty cool.

Damien of Molokai
Song of Bernadette by Werfel
Teresa of Avila
Not a saint (not acknowledged, anyway) but Dorothy Day had a supremely interesting life and her autobiography The Long Loneliness had a profound influence on me when I was young.

40.png
RockAndHoops:
St. Ignatius of Loyola and St. Francis Xavier are pretty cool.
Yeah, thanks, ironically I just finished looking them up.

St. Therese of Lisieux

St. Rita of Cascia

St. Vincent de Paul

Padre Pio

40.png
RockAndHoops:
St. Ignatius of Loyola
St Ignatius - nice choice. He was a soldier, wounded in battle. During the long weeks of his recuperation, he was extremely bored and asked for some romance novels to pass the time. Luckily there were none in the castle of Loyola, but there was a copy of the life of Christ and a book on the saints. Thus began his conversion.

luc.edu/jesuit/ignatius.bio.html

I enjoyed reading the life of Edmund Campion by Evelyn Waugh. An amazing witness to what faith can sustain you through.
It’s out of print but I obtained a copy from B&N’s out of print section on line.

Hello-

I would recommend Saint John Bosco and repeat Karen 1996’s recommendation of Saint Vincent DePaul. These two along with St. Joseph are the only saints I have books about currently.

Oh good! An excuse to get more books!

JXM

FuzzyBunny,

I just had an idea -what if we sent up a prayer asking for a saint to find *us? *We could ask the Holy Spirit: “What saint do you want me to become acquainted with?” and see if He leads you anywhere (or puts something in your path.)

I’ve never tried that, but it sounds like a good idea, and I think I will start.

God Bless,
VC

Therese of Lisieux
Teresa of Avila
Ignatius Loyola
Padre Pio
Catherine of Sienna
People here recommend John Bosco

and my personal favourite at the moment

St. Faustina Kowalska, apostle of Divine Mercy

She needs advertising - it would be her 100th birthday today.

Pretty much any saint named “Teresa,” regardless of spelling. 😉

And I second the suggestion about Saint Faustina.

There cannot be a more interesting Saint to read about than Joan of Arc.

There were 20,000 biographies written about her by the time she was canonized in 1920, and since then, who knows?

There are hundreds of pages of contemporary documents written in her own lifetime or shortly after. We still have these original documents. It is from these documents, including the original trial transcript, that good biographies are written.

Forget about the movies. The movie actors and directors invariably portray a personality different from what comes across in the original documents.

The best book I’ve found yet is Joan of Arc by Herself and her Witnesses, by Regine Pernoud. Pernoud was a scholar who devoted much of her life to studying Joan, unlike many authors who spend a few months throwing together some book they think will sell well. Pernoud’s book looks like it will outlive all the others, and deservedly so.

Get Pernoud’s book from amazon.com, or Barnes & Noble, and get ready to read the most amazing story you’ll ever find.

Read this interesting essay about Joan written by Mark Twain…
catholic-forum.com/saints/stj05003.htm

St.Therese’s “Story of a Soul” is a must read. Her story changes many lives, St. Bernadette is a wonderful read, Edith Stein.

A most powerful read besides Story of a Soul is St. Fausina’s Diary of Divine Mercy.

The Reluctant Saint, the story of St. Francis is also a good read.

Mother Teresa is Blessed and not a saint yet, but her life story is amazing - I also suggest reading about the lives of St. Francis and St. Catherine of Sienna. God Bless, Kate P.S. Teresa of Avila is great, too

Fr. Walter Ciszek’s is not a declared saint, but his cause is opening for investigation. He is the Jesuit priest who spent 23 years as a prisoner in Communist Russia, mainly in the Siberian labor camps. His first book, “With God in Russia” tells his story and his second book, “He leadeth Me” is filled with the spiritual insights he learned through suffering.

Also recommend the story of Blessed Miguel Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back