A
asenn
Guest
this is my response to an atheist vs. Christian discussion regarding a meme that shows “horrific” atheistic governments suggesting world without religion would be BAD.
“”"
“If God exists, then we clearly have a sound foundation for objective moral values and moral duties. But if God does not exist, that is, if atheism is true, then there is no basis for the affirmation of objective moral values; and there is no ground for objective moral duties because there is no moral lawgiver…” and so a question might be considered as to whether atheism can provide a foundation for objective moral values and duties? I think this meme is suggesting it cannot. But then there is science, ethics, and moral relativism. is moral relativism a good thing? I personally don’t think so. I don’t see how universal peace could ever be accomplished in this manner. I believe that religions can coexist peacefully and yet I still subscribe to Universal Truth. With God, all things are possible. On the individual scale I think one should strive to be virtuous. “an habitual and firm disposition to do the good. virtue allows the person not only to perform good acts, but to give the best of one’s self. The virtuous person tends toward the good with all his sensory and spiritual powers; one pursues the good and chooses it in concrete actions.” I believe ANYBODY can be virtuous. But as a Christian, I believe in objective virtues defined by my religion. I believe each of us has the innate calling and desire, sometimes muddled, to be good and virtuous. I am willing to die for my country for the “freedom of religion.” But I would much rather die for the theocracy of “Vatican City.”
Peace y’all.
“”"
“If God exists, then we clearly have a sound foundation for objective moral values and moral duties. But if God does not exist, that is, if atheism is true, then there is no basis for the affirmation of objective moral values; and there is no ground for objective moral duties because there is no moral lawgiver…” and so a question might be considered as to whether atheism can provide a foundation for objective moral values and duties? I think this meme is suggesting it cannot. But then there is science, ethics, and moral relativism. is moral relativism a good thing? I personally don’t think so. I don’t see how universal peace could ever be accomplished in this manner. I believe that religions can coexist peacefully and yet I still subscribe to Universal Truth. With God, all things are possible. On the individual scale I think one should strive to be virtuous. “an habitual and firm disposition to do the good. virtue allows the person not only to perform good acts, but to give the best of one’s self. The virtuous person tends toward the good with all his sensory and spiritual powers; one pursues the good and chooses it in concrete actions.” I believe ANYBODY can be virtuous. But as a Christian, I believe in objective virtues defined by my religion. I believe each of us has the innate calling and desire, sometimes muddled, to be good and virtuous. I am willing to die for my country for the “freedom of religion.” But I would much rather die for the theocracy of “Vatican City.”