Can I have something UNblessed?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sir_Knight
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sir_Knight

For Christmas, my in-laws gave me some gifts which they had blessed – some of which, I normally would not have had blessed such as a wallet with a cross on it, a belt buckle with a cross on it, a key chain, etc.

Can I use these items in the way that they normally would be used or , because of the blessing, am I to prohibited from using them in the normal manner since blessed items are to be showed greater reverance than unblessed items?

So long as you are not using them irreverently, or specifically using them in a way that would desecrate the blessing, there is nothing wrong with using the items as they were intended. In fact, ordinary items that have been blessed are probably best used normally–they’re wonderful, everyday reminders of the graces God grants to us.

I’ve never heard of anything being unblessed. That’s why blessed items are buried or burned when they are old or unusable. Just use them as you normally would. But be sure not to desecrate them. Cars can be blessed and traded or sold when you no longer want them. Theres no sin in selling the blessed car to a stranger.

Sorry if I’m getting a bit on the silly side BUT …

For example, when I’m done at the end of the day, I normally empty my pockets and throw/toss everything on the bed before sorting it out. Would that be alright to do with a blessed wallet or do I need to treat it with greater reverance and LAY IT DOWN instead of throwing it?

Hi,

If you deliberately throw it to show disrespect or contempt then its bad. But if it’s just habit then it’s ok.
Sir Knight:
Sorry if I’m getting a bit on the silly side BUT …

For example, when I’m done at the end of the day, I normally empty my pockets and throw/toss everything on the bed before sorting it out. Would that be alright to do with a blessed wallet or do I need to treat it with greater reverance and LAY IT DOWN instead of throwing it?

a couple of years ago I received a sink strainer/stopper topped with a church, and was told by MIL she had it blessed. I cannot bring myself to use it for that purpose so it just sits on a shelf collecting dust, I don’t just want to toss it in the kitchen drawer.

A blessed article should be used. Shouldn’t we use everything we have with care? All that we have are gifts from God to be used, not abused. Knowing that something is blessed would just give extra incentive to take good care of it and maybe remind us to say a short prayer when we use it. Can’t imagine unblessing something the same way as I can’t understand a religion taking away the effects of baptism when you leave their church…?? What’s done is done. Be thankful for the gift and enjoy!

Love and peace

Mom of 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back