Can one obtain forgiveness from God with a prayer that is one sentence?

• Thread starter Thread starter PMV
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PMV

Mother Teresa seemed to have stated that we will be forgiven if we pray a prayer as simple as this; “Lord, I’m sorry for having offended you and I promise you I will try not to offend you again (Mother Teresa; A Simple Path, pg. 14).”

Could a prayer as simple as this, if said with sincerity (along with the intentions of the requirements for an Act of Perfect Contrition), without a doubt give us forgiveness?

As a side note, I already posted this but decided to put it somehwre else.

40.png
PMV:
Mother Teresa seemed to have stated that we will be forgiven if we pray a prayer as simple as this; “Lord, I’m sorry for having offended you and I promise you I will try not to offend you again (Mother Teresa; A Simple Path, pg. 14).”

Could a prayer as simple as this, if said with sincerity (along with the intentions of the requirements for an Act of Perfect Contrition), without a doubt give us forgiveness?
Possibly, God is not bound by the sacraments. But we just don’t know whether God will forgive us “just because”.

We were given the Sacrament of Confession for this purpose and I am sure she wasn’t suggesting that we bypass the normal method of confronting our sins before God.

But what if we were isolated in the interior of the jungles of Borneo or someplace like that with no sign of getting out alive? No chance of finding a priest?

In that case I would find the words of Mother Teresa comforting, and hope in the Mercy of God who sees into our hearts.

God can do whatever He wills and your sins can be forgiven simply by asking, but that dosen’t free us from the responsibilty of going to Confession if we are in a state of serious sin. It would only apply if we were in an accident or something and couldn’t make it to the Sacrament!
Mike

God can do anything he wants, whether or not it is inside the Sacraments. But the thing we need to remember is the fact that Confession is the *ordinary *way for obtaining forgivness, and even does not require perfect contrition (eg. being sorry because of hell, instead of because you offended God). But outside of the Sacrament of Penance, contrition needs to be perfect, or else we are not sure whether or not we are forgiven (this is why it needs to be perfect). But in the case of not having access to a priest, or being in danger of death, Mother Theresa’s words are very comforting…

Pax,
Dean

Abolutely you can obtain forgiveness with one sentence. And you can rattle on for an hour and not be forgiven, too. Think of the parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector. The Pharisee stood up front and congratulated himself on how good he was and thanked God that he was not like the rest of men or even the tax collector. Who knows how long he went on in this vein, and he was not forgiven one thing. The tax collector said simply, “Oh, God, have mercy on me, a sinner,” and went home justified. It’s all a matter of what’s in the heart.

Betsy

God can forgive if we ardently desire it. Even if we speak no words.
The desire for forgiveness can be enough.
But if we know how to make an act of contrition we must make it.
We need to be obedient to the laws of the Church too.

40.png
PMV:

As a side note, I already posted this but decided to put it somehwre else.
Yes, but you still need to go to confession and confess whatever it is.

My answer is: of course. But, I try not to put God into any “box”, no matter how large (or small) its dimensions.

Mike

This is my understanding but it may be incorrect.

If we pray a private act of contrition, God will forgive our sins but that doesn’t mean we have been absolved (made the situation right with God) or are still not in communion with his Church and can’t recieve the sacraments from which we get and need other graces to perservere and succeed spiritually in this world. But an Act of Contrition can result in absolution if the Sacrament of Penance is not available and does not become available before our death (i.e. We fall from a cliff and say the Act or say as much as we can before we hit the bottom. This is why my Grandma also said Oh my God whenever she slipped or I almost rolled the car learning to drive on the rural gravel roads near our farm.)

CCC: 1446
Christ instituted the sacrament of Penance for all sinful members of his Church: above all for those who, since Baptism, have fallen into grave sin, and have thus lost their baptismal grace and wounded ecclesial communion. It is to them that the sacrament of Penance offers a new possibility to convert and to recover the grace of justification. The Fathers of the Church present this sacrament as “the second plank [of salvation] after the shipwreck which is the loss of grace.”

Additionally, it is not just God’s forgiveness that we need for salvation (at least without a period of purging and cleansing in purgatory) but we must also pledge to reform our lives or else we will fall back into the sin that offends our God.

CCC 1428
Christ’s call to conversion continues to resound in the lives of Christians. This second conversion is an uninterrupted task for the whole Church who, "clasping sinners to her bosom, [is] at once holy and always in need of purification, [and] follows constantly the path of penance and renewal."18 This endeavor of conversion is not just a human work. It is the movement of a “contrite heart,” drawn and moved by grace to respond to the merciful love of God who loved us first

And we must have contrition.

CCC: 1453
The contrition called “imperfect” (or “attrition”) is also a gift of God, a prompting of the Holy Spirit. It is born of the consideration of sin’s ugliness or the fear of eternal damnation and the other penalties threatening the sinner (contrition of fear). Such a stirring of conscience can initiate an interior process which, under the prompting of grace, will be brought to completion by sacramental absolution. By itself however, imperfect contrition cannot obtain the forgiveness of grave sins, but it disposes one to obtain forgiveness in the sacrament of Penance.

And finally, we must perform penance.

CCC: 1459
Many sins wrong our neighbor. One must do what is possible in order to repair the harm (e.g., return stolen goods, restore the reputation of someone slandered, pay compensation for injuries). Simple justice requires as much. But sin also injures and weakens the sinner himself, as well as his relationships with God and neighbor. Absolution takes away sin, but it does not remedy all the disorders sin has caused.62 Raised up from sin, the sinner must still recover his full spiritual health by doing something more to make amends for the sin: he must “make satisfaction for” or “expiate” his sins. This satisfaction is also called “penance.”

Our ex-parish priest, now retired, said that an honest act of contrition can be very simple.

He used the example where Christ said the tax collector went home justified and the Pharisee did not. We like to focus on the Pharisee side but Fr. Busch liked to talk about the tax collector’s simple but earnest prayer, “O God, be merciful to me a sinner.” (Luke 18:13)

As far as a prayer of faith, he liked to talk about the simple prayer of Thomas, “My Lord and my God!” )John 20:28.

The challenge is to be as humble as the tax collector, and as sure as Thomas without having seen with your own eyes the same way he did. Christ invites us to put our hands into his wounds by joining Him in knowing the persecution that comes with being faithful to the word. (That last sentences was like, whoosh, out of nowhere so if someone else understands it then it must have been for yout.)

Alan

Fr. Corapi says in one of his talks that a dying person need just look to God for forgiveness in their thoughts even if that person is unable to talk.

Deacon Tony

Perhaps it could remit venial sins; mortal sins, however, must be remitted through the sacrament of penance.

Anima Christi:
Perhaps it could remit venial sins; mortal sins, however, must be remitted through the sacrament of penance.
Here is where I disagree, and would offer that you’re trying to put “God in a box.” You simply cannot say God must act in this way, or in any way, as He is certainly capable of choosing to act as He sees fit. This most certainly includes the manner in which He forgives sins, as, ultimately, it is He who forgives sins anyway.

Your statement leaves no room for the forgiveness of sins for anybody outside of the Catholic Church, and frankly, this is NOT what the Church teaches. Confession is the ordinary means, not the only means.

Mike

As Catholics we should take full advantage of the sacrament of penance…it’s there for us and what a wonderful way to be forgivin.

Every day when I wake up I say the Jesus prayer:
Lord Jesus Christ, son of the living God, have mercy on me a sinner.

40.png
mhansen:
Here is where I disagree, and would offer that you’re trying to put “God in a box.” You simply cannot say God must act in this way, or in any way, as He is certainly capable of choosing to act as He sees fit. This most certainly includes the manner in which He forgives sins, as, ultimately, it is He who forgives sins anyway.

Your statement leaves no room for the forgiveness of sins for anybody outside of the Catholic Church, and frankly, this is NOT what the Church teaches. Confession is the ordinary means, not the only means.

Mike
Mike,

Anima Christi’s statement is perfectly valid. God may very well be able to forgive people mortal sins outside the sacrament of penance. It’s His grace to give, after all. But we have only been given the Truth that the normal way of forgiving sins is through Reconciliation. Anything above and beyond that is speculation. Who cares how else sins are forgiven? Let’s focus on what we do know-- that they are certainly forgiven through penance-- and bring people outside that assurance into the Church!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back