Can one somehow become unconfirmed?

• Thread starter Thread starter Vic_Taltrees_UK
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vic_Taltrees_UK

I expect it has come up. To help me gain more insight about confirmation, my question is as follows. I’d appreciate answers from all Anglicans and Lutherans - and members of other denominations - that have done this or seen it from close by, plus all experts in the field.

If one had been confirmed in the Catholic Church as a young person, and maybe for some reason sought a more serious level of faith in another church than one had had previously, can one find oneself somehow unconfirmed, will one’s new denomination regard one as unconfirmed, etc?

(I realise that some free churches just aren’t interested in the subject.)

If one had been confirmed in the Catholic Church as a young person, and maybe for some reason sought a more serious level of faith in another church than one had had previously, can one find oneself somehow unconfirmed, will one’s new denomination regard one as unconfirmed, etc?
What ecclesial communities that are not in communion with the Church teach isn’t really relevant.

Confirmation can neither be repeated nor undone.

The Catholic Church recognizes the sacrament of Confirmation in particular Churches with valid apostolic succession. Confirmation in ecclesial communities (Anglican, Lutheran, etc) would not be valid sacraments.

What ecclesial communities that are not in communion with the Church teach isn’t really relevant.

Confirmation can neither be repeated nor undone.

The Catholic Church recognizes the sacrament of Confirmation in particular Churches with valid apostolic succession. Confirmation in ecclesial communities (Anglican, Lutheran, etc) would not be valid sacraments.
I agree - Confirmation in the Catholic Church can neither be repeated nor undone.
paduard

As others have said, no.

You can walk away from the faith.
You can stop believing.
You can actively teach against what the church teaches.
You can reap the consequences of these things…but

You can’t undo Confirmation.

None of the sacraments can be undone.

For example: once you receive communion into your body, you can’t undo that. Once you give a confession, you can’t take it back. Once you receive Anointing of the Sick, the oils can’t be taken back from you…

Same is with Baptism, Confirmation, Marriage & Holy Orders.

I think the confusion comes with what Confirmation is. Confirmation is NOT you confirming your faith. Confirmation is the conferring of the Holy Spirit upon you, like in Pentecost.

Confirmation is also known as Christening. Technically, when a baby is Christened, the Baby receives BOTH Baptism and Confirmation on the same day.

I pray this helps.

God Bless

Baptism and Confirmation are “life” events. (As is Ordination, for those males who receive the call to it.)

They can no more be “reversed” than birth, growth or adolescence can be.

ICXC NIKA

While I agree with all of the above, I think he’s wondering if other denominations would recognize Catholic confirmation as valid.

While I agree with all of the above, I think he’s wondering if other denominations would recognize Catholic confirmation as valid.
Depends upon the denomination. You’d have to ask someone in each one.

ICXC NIKA

I expect it has come up. To help me gain more insight about confirmation, my question is as follows. I’d appreciate answers from all Anglicans and Lutherans - and members of other denominations - that have done this or seen it from close by, plus all experts in the field.

Just to be clear in what sense are you using the term “confirmed in the Catholic Church”? In the technical sense it means receiving one of the seven sacraments of the Catholic Church, involving an anointing and usually administered by a bishop. In a broader sense some individuals speak of their “confirmation” or their “confirmation date” when referring to their joining or being received into the Catholic Church, which often happens at the Easter Vigil, during which receiving the sacrament of Confirmation is but a part.

Besides the Anglicans, for Protestants, Confirmation isn’t the same thing as it is for Catholics & Orthodox (if the Protestant denomination even has something called “confirmation”)

Wikipedia (yes, I know… they are not the best scholarship) does provide a decent layman’s explanation of the difference.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation

I pray this helps.

God Bless

My friend your on a Catholic Forum, but seen not to be directing your question to a Catholic; so please forgive my inserting myself here.

I CAN"T speak for non-Catholic practices and beliefs, but CAN share a bit about Catholic teaching on the subject.

So that you know that what I am sharing is biblical; please read carefully & prayerfully this TEACHING from Hebrews:

What you are contemplating is seen by God as a VERY serious matter:

The effects of Catholic Confirmation & I assume other Christian faiths as well] is to create a personal covenant between you and almighty God; that you do Know the faith; accept the Faith and commit to practicing THAT faith

Heb 6: 1, 4 to 8

[1] The word of the beginning: The first rudiments of the Christian [THAT MEANS CATHOLIC]** doctrine.** [PLEASE SEND ME A PM IF YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND WHY

[4]** For it is impossible for those who were once illuminated,[HERE MEANS BAPTIZED] have tasted also the heavenly gift,[JESUS HIMSELF IN CATHOLIC HOLY COMMUNION WHICH IS IMPOSSIBLE IN CHRISTIAN FAITHS] and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost [CONFIRMED] **, [5] Have moreover tasted the good word of God,[BEEN INSTRUCTED IN THE CATHOLIC FAITH] and the powers of the world to come, [6] And are fallen away: to be renewed again to penance, crucifying again to themselves the Son of God, and making him a mockery. [7] For the earth that drinketh in the rain which cometh often upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is tilled, receiveth blessing from God. [8] But that which bringeth forth thorns and briers, is reprobate, and very near unto a curse, whose end is to be burnt.

DOUAY bible explanation of verse #4
[4] It is impossible: The meaning is, that it is impossible for such as have fallen after baptism, to be again baptized; and very hard for such as have apostatized from the faith, after having received many graces, to return again to the happy state from which they fell.[6] And are fallen away: to be renewed again to penance, crucifying again to themselves the Son of God, and making him a mockery

Dear friend, because there can be and is ONLY One true God, who CAN only have One true set of Faith beliefs [even God can’t hold to more than one set of beliefs]; and in and through Only the One True Church that HE God desired, and DID isstitute, and DOES guide guide and guard.

PLEASE READ these passages being MINDFUL of the singular tense words the HS inspired authors choose:

www.http://drbo.org/

Mt 10:1-8
Mt 16:15-19
John 17:17-20 [Here JESUS gives HIMSELF as the warratly of CATHOLIC Faith & Moral Teachings[ NO othert faith or church can make and support this claim:thumbsup:
My 28:19-20

So my friend, what your considering is a very serious matter. PLEASE talk to a priest before making such a HUGE decission:thumbsup:

Pray much

GBY

Patick**

Baptism and Confirmation leave a permanent “mark” on the soul. They cannot be undone.

Besides the Anglicans, for Protestants, Confirmation isn’t the same thing as it is for Catholics & Orthodox
Let’s clarify regarding Anglicans.

Within the Anglican communion, confirmation may or may not be considered a sacrament.

And, the Catholic Church does not recognize Anglican confirmation as valid.

Within the Anglican communion, confirmation may or may not be considered a sacrament.

True & true

While the Anglican communion does regard confirmation as a sacrament their understanding of it is considerably different to ours. At the same time, there are also multiple (and at times diverging) views on Confirmation within Anglicanism which makes things confusing. For Catholics, while the history and theology of the sacrament link it firmly with Baptism, in practice, this link can be far from obvious.

While the Anglican communion does regard confirmation as a sacrament their understanding of it is considerably different to ours. At the same time, there are also multiple (and at times diverging) views on Confirmation within Anglicanism which makes things confusing. For Catholics, while the history and theology of the sacrament link it firmly with Baptism, in practice, this link can be far from obvious.
I was in the Anglican Communion for the first 25 years of my life. Ask 2 Anglicans about confirmation (or sacraments) you will get 3 answers.

Yes, an Anglican Church would accept Catholic Confirmation.

Anglican belief per the 39 Articles are 2 Sacraments: Baptism & Communion.

From Article 23: “The five commonly called sacraments, namely confirmation, penance, ordination, matrimony and extreme unction(anointing when gravely ill) are not to be received as sacraments of the gospel, since they have in part developed from a false understanding of the apostolic practice and in part represent states of life allowed in the scriptures…”

From To Be A Christian the new ACNA catechism: “other rites and institutions commonly called sacraments include confirmation, absolution, ordination, marriage, and anointing of the sick. These are sometimes called the sacraments of the Church”

Confirmation: after making a mature commitment to my baptismal covenant with God, I receive the laying on of the bishop’s hands with prayer.

The Grace invoked: In Confirmation, God strengthens the work of the Holy Spirit in me for his daily increase in my Christian life and ministry.

From Anglican Catholic Faith and Practice by Mark Haverland (p. 76):
Form: Prayer for the seven-fold gift of the Holy Spirit
Matter: laying on of hands or anointing with chrism, or both.
Minister: Bishop
In confirmation a baptized person who has reached the age of reason confirms the promises made by his godparents or by himself at his baptism and is given further grace to help him live a Christian life.

I was in the Anglican Communion for the first 25 years of my life. Ask 2 Anglicans about confirmation (or sacraments) you will get 3 answers.
LOL. That’s true about pretty much anything to do with Anglicanism - as one Anglican priest put it, officially all Anglicans are supposed to believe in the real presence. Unofficially you get a spectrum from transubstantiation in all but name to memorial meal!

Thank you everybody!

PJM, I’m not considering leaving the Catholic Church, just getting extra perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back