Can Protestants be canonized?

• Thread starter Thread starter Cat
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cat

I’m sure this topic has come up before and forgive me if I am redundant.

Some Protestant friends are asking me if it is possible for a Protestant to be canonized a saint.

Does anyone know? I tend to doubt it, but…?

Thanks.

40.png
Cat:
Some Protestant friends are asking me if it is possible for a Protestant to be canonized a saint.
Perhaps not as a matter of principle, but as a matter of fact. I’m not saying that there aren’t Protestant saints, just that there aren’t canonized saints who were Protestant at the time of their death.

Being baptized is a requirement which many Protestants have, but when it comes to a life of virtue, it becomes harder to make the case for someone who’s probably never had sacramental pardon of their sins and waive several heresies of belief.

As it would definitely be a source of scandal and doubt for Catholics, not to mention likely scorn from Protestants, Our Lord doesn’t allow Protestant saints to be recognized by as such.

May Our Lord save us all from the fires of Hell.

:blessyou:

St Charles Lwanga and Companions were a group of 22 young men martyred in Uganda in 1885-1886. Some of these young men were Anglicans. In 1964 Pope Paul VI canonized all the Companions without distinction as to which were Catholic and which were Anglican.

Joseph Bilodeau:
St Charles Lwanga and Companions were a group of 22 young men martyred in Uganda in 1885-1886. Some of these young men were Anglicans. In 1964 Pope Paul VI canonized all the Companions without distinction as to which were Catholic and which were Anglican.
But didn’t the Anglicans then have all the sacraments intact, except for mariage?

:blessyou:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back