A
Ahlman
Guest
With ad orientem liturgicum, the big wall crucifix with the tabernacle right beneath it becomes the common focus for both the celebrant and the congregation during the Eucharistic celebration. However, for some reasons the de facto norm throughout the Church today seems to be versus populum celebration. I would like to hear a good historical explanation why and how this change was made, and the theological reasons behind it.
As it is now, in most churches I have been to, the only visible crucifix is the big wall crucifix behind the altar. This obviously cannot be a common focus during versus populum celebrations since the celebrant is facing the other way. But even as a congregant, I find it psychologically unlogical to focus on the crucifix behind the altar while the sacrifice is being re-enacted on the altar in front of it. And if you are not focusing and contemplating on the crucifix during the Eucharistic celebration, what is it really for?
The best way would obviously be to do as the pope does and put a big crucifix on the center of the altar itself. However, if you already have a big crucifix on the wall behind, wouldn’t two visible crosses diminish the symbolism? And even if the altar crucifix is the only visible one, there is no way for the celebrant and the congregation to focus on the same corpus of the crucifix if they are facing different ways.
I really want to accept the fact that versus populum is the setting most commonly used today and that the altar according to the GIRM should be freestanding, so I would be glad to hear som good explanations why it has become so.
As it is now, in most churches I have been to, the only visible crucifix is the big wall crucifix behind the altar. This obviously cannot be a common focus during versus populum celebrations since the celebrant is facing the other way. But even as a congregant, I find it psychologically unlogical to focus on the crucifix behind the altar while the sacrifice is being re-enacted on the altar in front of it. And if you are not focusing and contemplating on the crucifix during the Eucharistic celebration, what is it really for?
The best way would obviously be to do as the pope does and put a big crucifix on the center of the altar itself. However, if you already have a big crucifix on the wall behind, wouldn’t two visible crosses diminish the symbolism? And even if the altar crucifix is the only visible one, there is no way for the celebrant and the congregation to focus on the same corpus of the crucifix if they are facing different ways.
I really want to accept the fact that versus populum is the setting most commonly used today and that the altar according to the GIRM should be freestanding, so I would be glad to hear som good explanations why it has become so.