Can we be Patient?

• Thread starter Thread starter T.A.Stobie_SFO
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T.A.Stobie_SFO

More and more in our culture, the attitude “I want it and I want it now” prevails. We are losing sight of a true virtue that will help us grow in God.

My thoughts on Patience can be found in this meditation “Patience - Waiting in Holiness”.

What thoughts and difficulties do you have with patience?

I always complain that I have no time to rest, then when I have nothing to do I complain. I’ve been trying to stop the cycle.

It is true that we are trapped in a society of greed, materialism, and few good manners. We become impatient with ourselves and others.

It is definitely the case that LESS IS MORE and patience increases when our desires are within God’s will.

Chuck

40.png
Cherubino:
I want more patience and I want it now!
NO! ME FIRST! ME FIRST!!!

I think technology has helped our lack of patience…think of how much is at our fingertips at a moment’s notice today thanks to technology. We used to have to wait for letters to be delivered, for photographs to be developed, for 6 o’clock to get the news.

We got along fine when we had to wait but since we don’t have to anymore nobody ever wants to anymore.

Socrates,

I think that’s patly true, but isn’t there a certain amount of narcissism and vanity lurking in the desire to be more virtuous? Thomas Merton put it this way:

“The more one seeks ‘the good’ outside oneself as something to be acquired, the more one is faced with the necessity of discussing, studying, understanding, analyzing the nature of the good. The more, therefore, one becomes involved in abstractions and in the confusion of divergent opinions. The more the ‘good’ is objectively analyzed, the more it is treated as something to be attained by special virtuous techniques, the less real it becomes. As it becomes less real, it recedes further into the distance of abstraction, futurity, unattainability. The more, therefore, one concentrates on the means to be used to attain it. And as the end becomes more and more diffcult, the means become more elaborate and complex, until finally the study of the means becomes so demanding that all one’s effort must be concentrated on this, and the end is forgotten… a devotion to the systematic uselessness of practicing means which lead nowhere. This is, in fact, nothing but organized despair: ‘the good’ that is preached and exacted by the moralist thus finally becomes an evil, and all the more so since the hopeless pursuit of it distracts one from the real good which one already possesses and which one now despises or ignores.”

“The Way of Chuang Tzu” by Thomas Merton, New Directions Books 1965, Introduction p. 23.

One contributing problem is the culture leads us to short-sideness.

It is easier to be patient if we look at the larger picture of things. The whole journey of life has one ultimate goal “to join with God in heaven in total love.” When keeping the lifetime goal in mind, a few minutes, hours, days, or minutes seem rather much shorter than we will live life in a rush to get the most out of life now.

I think our problem with impatience is partly related to our busy lives. We’re torn between job, family, housework, prayer life, exercise, etc., etc. Balancing everything can get very tricky. Sometimes it seems like we never have enough time to do this or that. In some cases we’re busy by our own choice, in which case it might be better to let go of something and relax a little. We need to keep our priorities straight, thus putting God first, then family, etc.

We get impatient when our plans go awry and people or things get in our way of doing what we want to do. I think one of the best ways to deal with impatience is to “offer it up” when someone or something is annoying you. At least it’s not wasted then. Think of Jesus’ patience with us and his suffering during his passion, and that will help put things in perspective.

Is time you spent waiting wasted, or do you use it for something productive, such as praying?

It is easy to be patient when you use your wait productively rather than being annoyed about waiting.

I’d like to add a little plug for a book that SpiritDaily just recently promoted. It’s called “A Mother’s Rule of Life” by Holly Pierlot. (How to Bring Order to Your Home and Peace to Your Soul).

I’ve been going through this book because I felt so much stress with running a household. Patience is not a forte with me nor my husband. My house is not ordered the way I would like it nor is my prayer life. Sometimes I feel like I’m one step ahead of chaos. That’s no way to live.

Well, it looks like I have a lot of work to do but at least this provides a game plan. It definitely seems do-able and would relieve a lot of stress in my life. Don’t you think that that would help with patience?

Calm. Peace. Prayerlife. Patience. Humility. A chance to worship God the way He should be. Do you think that that would make it easier to get to heaven? I hope so. I really do.

My problem is whether I am waiting for God or is God waiting for me?

40.png
jrabs:
My problem is whether I am waiting for God or is God waiting for me?
That is an excellent question and an area for self-examination.

Knowing the human condition, it probably is a combination of both.

Check out the “My Soul - The Dwelling Place of God” thread and the meditation I link to from there as well.

Also read my meditation on “Listening to God”.

If you want to discuss it further, it probably would be best to start a new thread about it.

Thanks - I read them both. I am experiencing the most difficult trial of my life - but in all the pain that I am experiencing, I have complete peace. Peace that God will work things out for my good when it is the correct time.

Now I sit back patiently and stay very close to God. The closer I get, the more peace I find. Your meditations are so very true!

It took me a long time of struggling to realize that I cannot change my situation. I would try and give myself over to God’s will and I would try to trust God. But try is not good enough.

Recently, I decided to give up the struggle and just abandon all my will. I have found the Holy Spirit leading me to things that I was hesitant in doing…fasting, daily mass, Eucharistic Adoration, and other things I was being led to do. Once I decided to go ahead and do what I was asked to do - I found incredible peace - like I actually have NO worries.

Awesome advice you have given. Thanks

God Bless.
jrabs

Remember the old saying a “watched pot never boils”. Sometimes it helps to take our mind off what we a waiting for and focus on something else. (How about God?, that is usually a good thing to focus on.)

T.A.Stobie:
Is time you spent waiting wasted, or do you use it for something productive, such as praying?

It is easy to be patient when you use your wait productively rather than being annoyed about waiting.
Thank you for this !:tiphat:

It really put into perspective waiting in lines for me. I’ll share this one with my wife, who also is impatiens as I am .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back