Can we sacrifice for the atonement of others sins?

• Thread starter Thread starter Nobody2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nobody2

I stumbled upon a video named “How to save souls by GabiAfterHours” on YouTube (cant post link)

And i was wondering if its wrong.
He basically says that Mary promised us salvation if we do this. And if we do it more frequently we can purchase the salvation for our friends and family. I was confused as i thought Jesus only has done that. The last 10 minutes are the most important but if you watch the whole thing you’ll get a better understanding. Thank you

He basically says that Mary promised us salvation if we do this.
Can you specify what practice he was talking about that Mary said to do? This will provide us some context to give a better answer. There are legitimate practices out there with supposed “promises” out there that aren’t actually part of the legitimate practice. That’s why I’m asking.

In the Old Testament, Job used to sacrifice for the atonement of the sins of his children:
His sons used to go and hold a feast in the house of each on his day; and they would send and invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them. And when the days of the feast had run their course, Job would send and sanctify them, and he would rise early in the morning and offer burnt offerings according to the number of them all; for Job said, “It may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts.” Thus Job did continually. (Job 1:4-5)
Only the sacrifice of Jesus can atone for the eternal consequences of sins. However, while we are in this life, we have the opportunity to atone for the temporal consequences of both our sins and the sins of others, living or dead.

Paul talked about suffering for the sake of others in Colossians 1:24:
Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church,
John talked about the efficacy of praying for sinners in 1 John 5:16:
If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that.

Last edited:
He was telling the story about Mary appearing monthly to 3 children and the promise was if you go to mass and confession every first Saturday for 5 months in a row or something. Ill bring up the actual quote give me a minute

" Look my daughter, at my heart, surrounded with thorns with which ungrateful men Pierce me at every moment by their blasphemies and ingratitude. You at least try to console me and say that I promise to assist at the hour of death, with the graces necessary for salvation.
All those who on the 1st consecutive Saturday on 5 consecutive months, shall confess, receive holy communion, recite five decades of the Rosary, and keep me company for 15 minutes while meditating on the 15 mysteries of the Rosary, with the intention of making reparation for me."

Ah, this is the First Saturday devotion. It’s legitimate. And no, Mary is not saying she’ll save them. For starters, if they’re doing the First Saturday devotion, they’ve been going to confession and Mass. They’ve been receiving absolution and Christ in the Eucharist for five months. Secondly, she says “assist”. She is not providing, she is interceding. Her assistance would be interceding with God and asking for those graces, since ultimately all grace, including the graces given through (not from!) Mary are from God.

Ok i understand. In the video he said if we do this daily. Not only will she assist us but also our loved ones

Temporal consequences?
The classic example is a broken window. Suppose you as a child break the neighbor’s window (sin). You can’t pay for the damages, so your parents (God) pay for them. The window is now fixed, but you’re not off the hook still, are you? Your neighbors are happy their window is fixed, but are concerned you may do it again. You’ve embarrassed your parents by breaking a window. You may be still too careless and just wave it off as “it’s just a window and I said I’m sorry” (temporal consequences). Your parents had to pay for it and you need to be more responsible. So to have you “pay them back” for the money, they make you do chores around the house.

Last edited:
I see. I appreciate your reply. Im trying to become a saint. And the video said this was a way to not only get myself but my loved ones into heaven. And if thats what it takes im more than willing to do this. I just needed to be sure its something Actually taught by the church. So thank you again

It’s a private revelation, so it’s not “taught” by the Church, per se. The Church just says that it’s not harmful or in opposition to our beliefs. Remember though, your family ultimately needs to cooperate with the graces they receive. Doing devotions on behalf of living people, while encouraged and laudable, is not going to get them into Heaven if they’re kicking and screaming at the pearly gates. Does that make sense?

I understand. my family loves God but unfortunately they don’t believe in the sacraments. Which causes worry as im the youngest child and no one takes me seriously when i talk. So i was hoping i could sacrifice on behalf of them

Thank you! Not sure what sacrifices are valid so ill just sacrifice as much as i can haha

Moderation is key! You don’t want to be discouraged. It is better to do a small sacrifice well than a large one poorly. If you start small, you can always work up to something bigger.

Remember though, your family ultimately needs to cooperate with the graces they receive.
The central element of salvation/forgiveness of sins is the desire to be forgiven…aka repentance. The person has to desire salvation and union with God. If that’s missing…no dice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back