Can you commit a mortal sin twice?

• Thread starter Thread starter MockSock
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MockSock

If I remember rightly from school, mortal sin is a sin that results in the death of sanctifying grace in the soul.

But if, after committing a sin once, sanctifying grace is already dead, what’s to stop a person from committing the same sin again. I mean, he shouldn’t because it would offend God who is all good and worthy of all love.

But would there be a result like there was the first time? Would there be a motive? How is the sin “mortal” if the sactifying grace is already dead? You can’t kill something twice. (Except in zombie movies).

This is a hypothetical, by the way.

If I remember rightly from school, mortal sin is a sin that results in the death of sanctifying grace in the soul.

A What If?, eh? 😉

A bit too simplistically noted, IMO… drifting away from the Sin.

It’s the Event: actions and reasons - which determine Mortality.

E.G. If one knowingly and willingly and purposely offends God by Murdering Today,
And does the same thing Tomorrow…

That’s Two distinct Actions of Sin…

That said? Repentence is still possible.

_

Last edited:
There’s nothing to stop the person sinning again… sin begets sin. The person would still receive the initial grace from God calling him to repentance though. The second time it’s committed would still need confessing just as the first would… it’s still grave matter, full knowledge and full consent whichever way you look at it.

A What If?, eh? 😉

A bit too simplistically noted, IMO… drifting away from the Sin.

It’s the Event: actions and reasons - which determine Mortality.

E.G. If one knowingly and willingly and purposely offends God by Murdering Today,

That’s Two distinct Actions of Sin…

Yes, a ‘what if?’ (Although, I don’t think I used that particular phrase).

I said all that I thought necessary. If you want more please feel free to ask for specifics.
The “person” I refer to may be me, on the other hand he/she may be you. Most likely he/she is all of us.

By event are you talking about the intention of the person?

Mortal sin requires 3 parts. Grave matter, knowledge that it is grave and choice in committing the sin.

So let’s say I rob a bank, and then steal a car, finally with the stolen money I buy a bag of heroin and sell it to some high school students. That’s 3 sins, grave matter, knowledge and choice.

Say then I am sorry and I go to confession. Church teaching is that one is supposed to confess all known mortal sins. Say I purposely withhold the part about stealing the car, then my confession would be invalid, and I wouldn’t receive absolution.

So, if the Church teaches that each mortal sin must be confessed, that must mean that mortal sin can be committed multiple times.

But would there be a result like there was the first time? Would there be a motive? How is the sin “mortal” if the sactifying grace is already dead? You can’t kill something twice. (Except in zombie movies).
Mortal sin is not dependent upon the state of your soul. Spiritual death is a result, not the sin itself. If you’re shot to death with all five shots being lethal and then decapitated, all of those things could kill you. Only one of those things did, but that doesn’t reduce the lethality of the gunshots or the decapitation.

Repeated sins and repeated works of mercy form into habits. A sinful habit is a vice and a good habit is a virtue. A person’s vices and a person’s virtues become increasingly difficult to change the longer they are practiced and the more consistently they are practiced. Committing continued sins after already sinning allows the sin to solidify and become habitual.

A person shouldn’t sin again (mortal or venial) because it is wrong and we are supposed to love God and our neighbor and ourselves. For a lesser reason: we shouldn’t do it again because it leads us away from Heaven and towards hell.

Peace.

Last edited:
Thanks. But what I meant was, is it possible to to commit the same mortal sin twice.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

Yes, you can. Additional sins heap injustice on injustice. If you die in impenitent mortal sin, the more their number and gravity, the worse the torments of Hell will be (just like the degree of glory in Heaven is proportional to one’s merits, the torments of Hell are proportional to one’s demerits).

But if, after committing a sin once, sanctifying grace is already dead, what’s to stop a person from committing the same sin again. I mean, he shouldn’t because it would offend God who is all good and worthy of all love.

It is the continued operation of ill will. Worse twice (even though sanctifying grace was lost at first) since there is more reparation and penance to be done, and also if condemned, there is greater suffering for some than others. Also a habit may be established. The Holy Trinity does give actual graces of conversion, but one if free to respond or not.

Last edited:
Per the Council of Florence, the punishments of Hell are scaled to our sins in this life.

what I meant was, is it possible to to commit the same mortal sin twice
I would say yes. In fact, in the example given by @F_Marturana I would think that each individual sale of heroin to someone would be a separate sin (or separate incidence of the same sin if you prefer). Remember that the basic idea of telling the priest your sins in Confession is kind and number.

Sure you can.

Every sin injures you further. You may have a soul without sanctifying grace, but your soul is itself immortal. A mortal sin is mortal because it kills the supernatural life in your soul. It does not kill your soul’s natural life, which does not end. But what such a sin does is hurt it more. It disposes the soul less and less towards repentance, hardening it to the point that it may no longer desire to cooperate with God’s grace. And according to his will, God may see the hardness of that soul that he may (we don’t know in any given case) decide that sufficient grace has been given, and no longer provide further actual graces to lift him from mortal sin.

A subsequent mortal sin is still mortal when it meets the three conditions and still needs to be mentioned in kind and number in confession. Unrepented, these mortal sins add further culpability to the soul, deforms it more, makes it uglier, and earns it a greater degree of the punishments in hell.

Last edited:
Yes, a ‘what if?’ (Although, I don’t think I used that particular phrase).

I said all that I thought necessary. If you want more please feel free to ask for specifics.
The “person” I refer to may be me, on the other hand he/she may be you. Most likely he/she is all of us.

By event are you talking about the intention of the person?
Yes… A What If? - 🙂

I say that in reference to hypothesized speculations:
oft-posted by some - with me wondering exactly why some get raised:

for, some What If’s oft-presented on Catholic/Christian Forums
could easily be viewed as meaningless - even absurd - even Doubt-Instilling

Mortal Sins have 3 Conditions: We know that, yes?

AND It’s the Event: actions and reasons - which determine Mortality.

That’s Two distinct Actions of Mortal Sin…

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back