Canadian vs. American Catholics

• Thread starter Thread starter Jade
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jade

I have noticed that American Catholicism (sp?) and Candian seem to differ in some areas and I wonder if this is noticed by many.
Do you find a difference between Canadian and American Catholics?
If so, what?

For example, in talking to friends that are Catholic Americans, they seem to be more ‘by the rules’ in their viewpoint in general it seems, that Canadians.

Please note that I mean not disrespect to either parties.

Canadian Catholics are better at hockey. 🙂

Other than that, I haven’t found much difference.

American Catholicism has plenty of rigorists, yet still has much laxism (more in this category, I think). I would hope that Canadian Catholics have their fair share of folks who reject laxism.

40.png
itsjustdave1988:
I would hope that Canadian Catholics have their fair share of folks who reject laxism.
Code:
I am an ol’ orthodox Roman Catholic woman. Almost bordering on traditionalism! :eek:

It seems there are more liturgical abuses in the US than in Canada. I presume that could mean that there are a lot more people in the US than in Canada.

But, per capita, I presume the percentage is the same as in the US …‘liberal’ vs 'conservative Catholics. These are truly only political terms and does not belong in the Faith at all but it is the only way I can explain myself…:o

Blessings,
Shoshana

We recently had CBC added to our cable lineup, which allows me to follow news in Canada. There is really no coverage of news in Canada otherwise, to speak of.

But, I think Canadians are far more aware of what happens in the states, in general.

Am I overstating this, that the sex abuse scandals have ‘hit’ the Canadian Church harder than it has in the U.S.? Attendance in Canada is 3%, right? about 35% in U.S., I think.

Way overstating! :yup: The weekly attendance rate here in Canada varies across the country depending on where you are, but the average nationwide is about 20% for Catholics. In the Toronto Archdiocese, the attendance rate is 43-48% according to surveys.

In Canada, both in the Catholic Church and the Protestant Churches, attendance rates are on the upswing and hopefully will continue to grow.

I suppose that ethnicity, cultural development, political systems and laws, historical circumstances, and context of faith systems within each country differs such that there will be some natural differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back