Candle specifications

• Thread starter Thread starter Andreas_Hofer
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andreas_Hofer

I was under the impression that candles for liturgical use had to be made out of beeswax in the past. Since lots of strictures have been loosed with the new rite, I was wondering if there remain ANY specifications as to what types of candles (for instance, I think oil-burning “candles” are not allowed) may be used and where I can read those rules.

I ask this because I am preparing to re-stock on sanctuary lamp candles and know I cannot trust that the previous purchaser looked into the issue (which would have ennabled me to just order more of the same).

Andreas Hofer:
I was under the impression that candles for liturgical use had to be made out of beeswax in the past. Since lots of strictures have been loosed with the new rite, I was wondering if there remain ANY specifications as to what types of candles (for instance, I think oil-burning “candles” are not allowed) may be used and where I can read those rules.

I ask this because I am preparing to re-stock on sanctuary lamp candles and know I cannot trust that the previous purchaser looked into the issue (which would have ennabled me to just order more of the same).
I believe that an oil lamp is acceptable for use as a sanctuary lamp. The only restriction that I can think of off the top of my head are “electric” candles, it must be a real flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back