Canon law and marriage query

• Thread starter Thread starter halogirl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

halogirl

Non Catholic but baptised lady marries Catholic man (I guess they got a dispensation ). They are now divorced and she remarried outside of the church . Is she still married to the first husband in the eyes of God/ the Catholic Church ?

Yes I believe so if they were married in a Catholic Church they remain married why

(I guess they got a dispensation )
You guess but don’t know. You mean dispensation from form? Because there is no dispensation required to marry a baptized nonCatholic.
she remarried outside of the church
Well she’s not Catholic, so if she remarried of course it would be “outside the Church” unless she were seeking to marry a Catholic.
. Is she still married to the first husband in the eyes of God/ the Catholic Church ?
There really isn’t enough info here to say. So many details missing— whether they were validly married to begin with or convalidated, whether the ex husband may have applied for/received a decree of nullity, things like that.

What we can say:

IF she and her ex married validly in the Catholic Church then she is in a putative marriage, and the Church would consider her married unless proven otherwise.

Last edited:
I attended the second marriage as a guest and I am wondering if I should confess it. So was I supporting a sinful act etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back