Canon of Scripture

  • Thread starter Thread starter RBK
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RBK

Guest
I’m writing a term paper on the development of the Canon of Scripture and the controversy over the Deuterocanon. Can anyone suggest some Catholic books on these topics? I’m not finding anything at Amazon other than A Pocket Guide to the Bible by Scott Hahn.
 
Without hesitation, I recommend Free from All Error by Fr. William G. Most. I was able to correspond with him before he died several years ago, and he was considered one of the most learned scripture scholars in America. He served as a “responder” on EWTN’s Q&A forum for years, and wrote quite a few articles.

The book I mention lays out - especially for the layman - exactly how Scripture “came to be”.
 
Where We Got The Bible - Our Debt To The Catholic Church - Bishop Henry Graham
This was written over 100 years ago. It should be online in the public domain somewhere.

Why Catholic Bibles Are Bigger - Gary Michuta
 
I’m writing a term paper on the development of the Canon of Scripture and the controversy over the Deuterocanon. Can anyone suggest some Catholic books on these topics? I’m not finding anything at Amazon other than A Pocket Guide to the Bible by Scott Hahn.
you can always google for searches about the Council of Hippo in 390s or the Council of Rome in 382 when the Pope commissioned St. Jerome to translate the scriptures. Do note that those gatherings are not Ecumenical Councils, but regional Councils.
 
It is ironic that, not until Trent, did the Catholic Church finally and OFFICIALLY decree the canon of the OT and NT. As mentioned earlier, although Pope Damasus I commissioned Jerome to compile the bible to be used by the Catholic Church and some regional councils issued “declarations” regarding the two canons, it took more than 1500 years for an official proclamation to be forthcoming.
 
Without hesitation, I recommend Free from All Error by Fr. William G. Most. I was able to correspond with him before he died several years ago, and he was considered one of the most learned scripture scholars in America. He served as a “responder” on EWTN’s Q&A forum for years, and wrote quite a few articles.

The book I mention lays out - especially for the layman - exactly how Scripture “came to be”.
Thank you! I just ordered this one. And thanks for the other suggestions from everyone, I’ve got the ones mentioned by ctkrcia, they’re very good.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top