Can't Go To Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter CountrySinger
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of curiosity…

Is it that you can’t go to Mass or is it more like you do not want to go to Mass? From all the excuses and then you saying maybe it is good for you not to go, I get the impression it is more the latter than the former.

And for me personally, I would not want a man that I had to alter my body to attract. My body is the way God intended it to be and any man that doesn’t like me the way I am isn’t worth my time. But that’s just me and I am truly sorry you feel that you have to put yourself through that to get a man to want to be with you. I will be praying for you that you find someone who will love you for you and treat you with respect and dignity and I will also pray that you find a way to make it to Mass.

Hugs((()))
I wish I had the emotional strength to make it through Mass, and it is embarrasing to leave Mass midway through with tears in my eyes. But it depresses me, seeing all the couples and families. And seeing everyone makes me mad at myself. It has become a huge social gathering, and I hate to be the one who always left out.
I guess I’m very confused and lonely. I have been crying non-stop since I moved (except for work, work is the only place where I feel happy). So I’m not fit for human contact, I would bring others down. I thought this is where God wanted me, but guess not (sucks that I signed a 9 month lease, huh?)
 
CS, I can kind of see the previous poster’s point. :o Seriously hon, utilize some of the different options/solutions that we’ve offered and make it to Mass when you can. Like I was saying, I face the *same * obstacles you do to get to Mass, and I’ll be honest…sometimes I miss Mass. 😊 But I try hard not to excuse it and unless missing Mass was truly, 100% out of my control (meaning, not just difficult but *extremely *difficult or impossible) I go to confession the next time I do make it to church.

As for being lonely…I’m in the same boat too. I go to Mass alone and I live alone in this city with no family around. My husband is thousands of miles away overseas. You could try what Fulton Sheen suggests and just stop thinking about and focusing on yourself and your alone-ness at Mass. Think about Christ, and the readings, and people around you and count your own blessings even though (I know, I know) it can be hard. I guarantee you won’t feel so lonely if you can manage to do that. :hug3:

Finally, please don’t forget the not so small matter of it being a grave sin to miss Mass if you’d otherwise be able to go.
 
CS, I can kind of see the previous poster’s point. :o Seriously hon, utilize some of the different options/solutions that we’ve offered and make it to Mass when you can. Like I was saying, I face the *same * obstacles you do to get to Mass, and I’ll be honest…sometimes I miss Mass. 😊 But I try hard not to excuse it and unless missing Mass was truly, 100% out of my control (meaning, not just difficult but *extremely *difficult or impossible) I go to confession the next time I do make it to church.

As for being lonely…I’m in the same boat too. I go to Mass alone and I live alone in this city with no family around. My husband is thousands of miles away overseas. You could try what Fulton Sheen suggests and just stop thinking about and focusing on yourself and your alone-ness at Mass. Think about Christ, and the readings, and people around you and count your own blessings even though (I know, I know) it can be hard. I guarantee you won’t feel so lonely if you can manage to do that. :hug3:

Finally, please don’t forget the not so small matter of it being a grave sin to miss Mass if you’d otherwise be able to go.
I’ve just been so depressed (stated in my previous post), that it takes all my energy to go to work and sit at a computer. I just don’t have energy to do anything else.
 
I’ve just been so depressed (stated in my previous post), that it takes all my energy to go to work and sit at a computer. I just don’t have energy to do anything else.
I’m so sorry. I had depression like that once, but it was so long ago I can’t remember exactly how it was. I know I had no energy and just felt empty all the time. At the moment, I still have little energy, but now the exhaustion has a physical basis. It’s still exhaustion though, no matter the reason.

On the bright side I can **guarantee **you you’ll start to feel better if you make it to Mass and stay in a state of Grace. Can’t say it’ll be immediate, but I have no doubt whatsoever that it’ll help.
 
no if you have necessary work it is not a sin to miss Mass on a Sunday or Holy Day, but definitely try to get some help from your parish about this, and it sounds like you have your choice of parishes. As the opportunity arises, visit different churches, you have time to find a parish home. For many years I attended Mass close to my work as I was never off on weekends, and ducked out on my lunch hour, or attended early morning Mass on my way home. And no you are not obligated to risk your health in your means of transportation, either.

don’t know if your cable is hooked up yet but there is a great line up of programming Christmas day on EWTN

and don’t overlook the obvious, work as a source of new friendships, even some Catholic ones, even some that might help with your other church issues. We will of course all be praying for you. You might also want to offer up your own situation to Christ for those who are with family, but wish they weren’t, and ask for peace in their situations.
 
I found a church that I really like. They are a larger parish with a lot of young adults. In fact, I was registering the same time as an attractive young man was. 😃 They also want some more singers in the choir. I think I found my home. 😃
 
You don’t have to leave when you are crying at Mass. I had a friend whose Grandmother cried every time she received the Eucharist. I always thought that she was really sweet.

But, since you seem to find it embarrassing, I have two ways of stopping myself from crying if I’m in public.

– You can pinch yourself. The pain, paradoxically, makes me stop crying.

– An even better method is to close your eyes and look left and right over and over again. I don’t know why, but I always calm down really quickly when I do this.

I’m glad you found a church you like. 🙂
 
CountrySinger, maybe there is a handsome young devout Catholic man in your neighborhood who would love to drive you to Mass. . . Don’t close that door =)

I know how it is to be paralyzed by depression. The only solution is to get off your duff and make yourself do it, to get over that hump.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top