Not open for further replies.
S

Sir_Knight

I use to say 4 or 5 rosaries a day …
  1. * One rosary upon arising
    • One rosary upon retiring
    • One rosary before daily mass
    • One rosary after daily mass
    • and on days that I had some additional time to devote to prayer, another rosay would be included
      … All of that changed nearly a year ago. I can’t seem to make it through the rosary without falling asleep some place in the middle. And I don’t mean just nodding off but a deep sleep with dreams and everything … * fell asleep in the morning even though I got a good night’s rest earlier
    • fell asleep in church
    • even nodded off while praying the rosary while driving and rear-ended another driver (fortunately nobody was hurt)
      … anybody experience something like this? Is God or the Blessed Virgin Mary trying to tell me something? If so, I’m missing the message because this has been going on for close to a year.

Just pray the entire Rosary in the afternoon or early evening…it only takes 20 - 25 minutes and there is no reason to fall asleep in that short span of time.

Sir Knight:
I use to say 4 or 5 rosaries a day …
    • One rosary upon arising
    • One rosary upon retiring
    • One rosary before daily mass
    • One rosary after daily mass
    • and on days that I had some additional time to devote to prayer, another rosay would be included
    … All of that changed nearly a year ago. I can’t seem to make it through the rosary without falling asleep some place in the middle. And I don’t mean just nodding off but a deep sleep with dreams and everything …
    • fell asleep in the morning even though I got a good night’s rest earlier
    • fell asleep in church
    • even nodded off while praying the rosary while driving and rear-ended another driver (fortunately nobody was hurt)
    … anybody experience something like this? Is God or the Blessed Virgin Mary trying to tell me something? If so, I’m missing the message because this has been going on for close to a year.

1. It’s possible that you are what you think falling asleep because Our Lady is taking you to a deeper level. I don’t know exactly know about the dreams but sometimes this is what we think is a deep sleep but its just possible it is the beginning of a deeper prayer life for you which is contemplative prayer which sometimes may seem as if it is sleep but your faculties are more or less removed. It isn’t sleep though and it is very difficult to tell except that some time passes and you don’t realize the time and it is for a period that you though was short but a length of time has passed. Read about contemplative prayer in Fr. Dubay’s book “Fire Within” he speaks about it and so does Garrigou La Grange in his two volumes of the “Three Stages of the Interior Life”. Often the same thing happens to me but usually not while I’m driving. My husband and I were given the gift of contemplative prayer several years ago. He died a year ago on the feast of the Annunciation. The reason I say contemplative prayer is a gift is that it is passive, meaning that at some point God takes over and not by any method that you use. Many people today have the wrong idea of contemplative prayer and some have written books about it called centering prayer but this is not the right explanation. Fr. Thomas Dubay and La Grange have great explanations of it. There is no method to get there in this prayer, it is just given to you as pure gift. St. Francis of Asissi often when praying his rosary was led into contemplative prayer. Sometimes this type of prayer seems like no prayer at all and it is very dry. One night Mother Theresa of Calcutta sat in front of the Blessed Sacrament probably in this type of prayer and asked the priest across the aisle, “Father, where is Jesus tonight?”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back