Canticle of Mary

• Thread starter Thread starter threej_lc
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

threej_lc

I was just taking a little walk when a thought occured to me. At the start of Luke, Mary says, “My spirit rejoices in God my savior.”

Now, in a temporal sense, God hadn’t saved anyone yet. Was Mary prophecying her son’s death? Or did she recognized that she had already been saved by his crucifixion, showing that she was aware of her immaculate conception?

Just something to ponder.

Josh

40.png
threej_lc:
I was just taking a little walk when a thought occured to me. At the start of Luke, Mary says, “My spirit rejoices in God my savior.”

Now, in a temporal sense, God hadn’t saved anyone yet. Was Mary prophecying her son’s death? Or did she recognized that she had already been saved by his crucifixion, showing that she was aware of her immaculate conception?

Just something to ponder.

Josh
Personally I think she just meant God as savior in a general way as He is referred to as such in OT.

My 2 cents worth.

God was Mary’s everything, saving her and preserving her at every moment. She knew that everything she was, she owed to Him, everything she was experiencing and how she was able to cope with it and appreciate it was a gift from Him. That is what it means to be preserved from original sin… God was never NOT her savior!!

Remember, too, that God operates from eternity, outside of time.

Even in the Old Testament, God’s people recognized Him as their saviour. For example, we find in Psalm 27:1 “The Lord is my light and my salvation.”

Even in a temporal sense, God had saved Israel from bondage in Egypt, and had saved them again after their exile in Babylon.

The extent to which people were “saved” became clearer through the teaching, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

40.png
Grayton:
Even in the Old Testament, God’s people recognized Him as their saviour. For example, we find in Psalm 27:1 “The Lord is my light and my salvation.”

Even in a temporal sense, God had saved Israel from bondage in Egypt, and had saved them again after their exile in Babylon.

The extent to which people were “saved” became clearer through the teaching, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
I really like your response. Good points, good backing. I’d throw some cloute your way if I still could.

However, despite your argument, my heart is telling me that Mary knew more then she let on when she said that. Remember as the angel Gabriel cried “Hail Mary, full of Grace! The lord has found favor with thee!” we know that Mary “Pondered what this greeting might mean.”

BLB_Oregon, I liked your response as well. Very “True Devotion to Mary.” May Mary guide us so that God may be our only hope, joy, knowledge, life, and everything as well.

Grayton, can you give me a larger list of OT verses that refer to God as savior? Thanks.

Josh

40.png
threej_lc:
However, despite your argument, my heart is telling me that Mary knew more then she let on when she said that. Remember as the angel Gabriel cried “Hail Mary, full of Grace! The lord has found favor with thee!” we know that Mary “Pondered what this greeting might mean.”
This is the answer that makes most sense to me…
Annunciata:)

40.png
threej_lc:
Grayton, can you give me a larger list of OT verses that refer to God as savior? Thanks.
You could create a long list with the assistance of a Bible Concordance. Perhaps there is a Concordance on-line, or another way you could do a word-search on-line of the Old Testament.

But, with the aid of my concordance, I can give you a sampling of more OT verses that refer to God as savior:

“My strength and my courage is the Lord, and He has been my savior.” (Exodus 15:1)

“O Lord, my rock, my fortress, my deliverer . . . my savior, from violence you keep me safe.” (2 Sam 22:2-3)

“A shield before me is God, who saves the upright of heart.” Psalm 7:11

“All mankind shall know that I, the Lord, am your savior, your redeemer, the mighty one of Jacob.” (Isaiah 49:26)

“O Hope of Israel, O Lord, our savior in time of need.” (Jer. 14:8)

“You know no God besides me, and there is no savior but me.” Hosea 13:4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back