Carmelite Spirituality-examples of living poverty of spirit

• Thread starter Thread starter Jenlyn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jenlyn

How do you live “poverty of spirit”? Share examples, prayers ect.

I use this prayer to guide me:
O Jesus!, meek and humble of heart, hear me.

From the desire of being esteemed,(respond: Deliver me,Jesus.)
From the desire of being loved,
From the desire of being extolled,
From the desire of being honored,
From the desire of being praised,
From the desire of being preferred,
From the desire of being consulted,
From the desire of being approved,
From the fear of being humiliated,
From the fear of being despised,
From the fear of suffering rebukes,
From the fear of being calumniated,
From the fear of being forgotten,
From the fear of being ridiculed,
From the fear of being wronged,
From the fear of being suspected,

That others may be loved more than I, (respond: Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.)
That others may be esteemed more than I,
That in the opinion of the world, others may increase, and I may decrease,
That others may be chosen and I set aside,
That others may be praised and I unnoticed,
That others may be preferred to me in everything,
That others become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should.

I also try to stay away from things like the teacher’s lounge so I won’t sit and gossip.

Peace,
Jen

Poverty of spirit as was discussed this week at Sunday Mass is putting complete faith and trust in God, no matter what is happening in your life. In the midst of problems in marriage, family, with children who will no longer attend Mass, and in health matters, to name a few, this spiritual poverty trusts in the Lord. Easier said than done. Fr. Corapi mentions that if believe strongly in the Lord, but worry alot about life’s problems, in a way we are insulting the Lord.

God bless,
Deacon Tony SFO (Franciscans also strive for spiritual poverty)

Deacon Tony560:
Poverty of spirit as was discussed this week at Sunday Mass is putting complete faith and trust in God, no matter what is happening in your life. In the midst of problems in marriage, family, with children who will no longer attend Mass, and in health matters, to name a few, this spiritual poverty trusts in the Lord. Easier said than done. Fr. Corapi mentions that if believe strongly in the Lord, but worry alot about life’s problems, in a way we are insulting the Lord.

God bless,
Deacon Tony SFO (Franciscans also strive for spiritual poverty)
Dear Deacon Tony

‘(Franciscans also strive for spiritual poverty)’ They don’t do they???:rotfl: Joking , but couldn’t resist!!! Sorry for that.

But of course you are right, it’s not exclusive to Priests, Religious or Third Orders, we know that Holiness is a call for all of humanity…I think Jenlyn was meaning from the light of Carmelite Rule.

By the way, St Francis is one of my most loved Saints…in my younger days (note i say younger 😃 implying I am still an extremely young older person) I was very drawn to St Francis, he truly has a the most beautiful and simplistic spirit.

I was thinking it would be great if, as a Carmelite thread has been created on this forum, that also a Fransican one could be formed…if you would like to do that…I think that would be good for all souls to have information, Saints writings and the wisdom of Fransicans to access on this site, I also think it would be nice for people who are not Franciscan to also have a chance to (name removed by moderator)ut and learn about the Fransican Spirituality.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you and those you love

Teresa

Thank you for your views and suggestion. There is a 3rd Order Franciscan that is disabled that has had a lot to say on these forums about the Order. There are also some great discussions and info in past threads on the Franciscans. Francis had the gift of seeing all humanity and created works of God as his brothers and sisters. Tough act to follow.

May God bless you and your family,
Deacon Tony SFO

Hi Jen -

Thank you so much for sharing this prayer . . . I’d forgotten about it!

You asked for examples: How about keeping my mouth shut on contentious threads and steering clear of talk radio. Both needlessly inflame the passions and leave humility in the dust. By the way, I don’t do either very well 🙂

Deacon Tony560:
(Franciscans also strive for spiritual poverty)
😃 Sorry to offend. This thread is an off-shoot of the “Carmelite Spirituality-poverty of spirit, detachment” thread. That thread said what it was and I thought we could use a thread that explained how people apply poverty in spirit. Hope that clears things up.

Peace,
Jen

Deacon Tony560:
(Franciscans also strive for spiritual poverty)
😃 Sorry to offend. This thread is an off-shoot of the “Carmelite Spirituality-poverty of spirit, detachment” thread. That thread said what it was and I thought we could use a thread that explained how people apply poverty in spirit. Hope that clears things up.

Peace,
Jen

40.png
DBT:
Hi Jen -

Thank you so much for sharing this prayer . . . I’d forgotten about it!

You asked for examples: How about keeping my mouth shut on contentious threads and steering clear of talk radio. Both needlessly inflame the passions and leave humility in the dust. By the way, I don’t do either very well 🙂
Dearest DBT

How about not being too hard on yourself. I think you handle contentious issues very well.🙂

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Dear Jenlyn

It has just dawned on me and I don’t know why I only just had this come to my mind, but the prayer of Peace of St Francis is a wonderful prayer of poverty of spirit.

Teresa

40.png
springbreeze:
Dearest DBT

How about not being too hard on yourself. I think you handle contentious issues very well.🙂

Teresa
No, not being hard on myself . . . more like making a joke at my own expense 😃 Probably comes across a bit tone deaf in a post though.

I just sent you a PM . . .

40.png
Jenlyn:
How do you live “poverty of spirit”? Share examples, prayers ect.

I use this prayer to guide me:
But how we live that in all parts of our life, in particular our professional life? It’s not that I worship my career, it’s just that it’s what feeds and shelters my family.

How could I not desire to be rewarded, praised, recognized professionally? It’s not for me, but it’s how I can be a tad more secure providing for my family.

It’s perhaps my hard heart, but how could I live as the birds in the field when others rely on me to provide them? Shouldn’t I strive to be a good provider in their service?

God bless.

40.png
Augustine:
But how we live that in all parts of our life, in particular our professional life? It’s not that I worship my career, it’s just that it’s what feeds and shelters my family.

How could I not desire to be rewarded, praised, recognized professionally? It’s not for me, but it’s how I can be a tad more secure providing for my family.

It’s perhaps my hard heart, but how could I live as the birds in the field when others rely on me to provide them? Shouldn’t I strive to be a good provider in their service?

God bless.
Yes, that is my point and question. How in the daily grind of life do you live out your life in poverity of spirit?

We don’t have to be literally poor to be poor in spirit.

I’m not trying to sound rude, please forgive it sounds that way, at all but maybe you should read Joysong’s-poverty in spirit, detachment thread. It will explain better than I, what it is. 😉

Peace,
Jen

40.png
springbreeze:
Dear Jenlyn

It has just dawned on me and I don’t know why I only just had this come to my mind, but the prayer of Peace of St Francis is a wonderful prayer of poverty of spirit.

Teresa
Yes, it would.

Lord make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.
And where there is sadness, joy.

O divine master grant that I may
not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
To be loved as to love
For it is in giving that we receive-
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned.
And it’s in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen.

Peace,
Jen

The beatitudes

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall possess the earth.

Blessed are they who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for justice,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the clean of heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are they who suffer persecution for justice’ sake,

Blessed are you when men reproach you,
and persecute you,
and speaking falsely, say all manner of evil against you, for My sake.

A Father Groeschel site:
saintphilomena.com/the1.htm

Peace,
Jen

40.png
Jenlyn:
I’m not trying to sound rude, please forgive it sounds that way, at all but maybe you should read Joysong’s-poverty in spirit, detachment thread. It will explain better than I, what it is. 😉
It doesn’t at all.

Forgive me if I articulate my questins so poorly.

I did follow that thread, but I’m still puzzled. As a matter of fact, it’s after reading that thread that I was confused about how to bring poverty to all spheres of my life.

Of course, as St. Therese said, everything is a grace. Even the emotions and attitudes numbered among the deadly sins are, when we misuse them then they’re vices. But per se, they’re neither vices nor virtues.

So, how to be proud for the Kingdom or the Glory of God?

God bless you.

I’m glad you read that thread and are expressing your confusion. I’m sure some one better equiped will explain.

How do I live it at work? Well, I used to be gung-ho in trying to get things done for me to look good. Now I’m in a transitional stage of trying to do the things at work for love of God. I teach and see Christ in others, that makes me a better teacher. I am teaching the child rather than the curriculum. I hope that makes sense. Do I need accalades? No, I only want to please God. Do I need to impress others? No, I only want to please God. I don’t slack at my work, I just changed my focus. It makes me a better me. I am more at peace by having the correct focus.

Any good comments that come my way I have to say that it comes from God. I’m still uncomfortable saying out loud so I thank God in my head.

In the end, when all is said is and done, I feel better knowing I live for praising God and not myself. I continually try to die to myself so I can be closer to God. There and only there do I find peace. Something I seek continually.

One interesting thing I read yesterday in the “Fire Within” was when we live for ourselves we look at ourselves and worship ourselves. Idol worship is against the commandments. Interesting to ponder over. Where do we worship ourselves in our lives? Something I need to meditate on.

Peace,
Jen

40.png
Jenlyn:
Do I need accalades? No, I only want to please God. Do I need to impress others? No, I only want to please God. I don’t slack at my work, I just changed my focus. It makes me a better me. I am more at peace by having the correct focus.
This is solid food for though! :clapping:

God bless you.

Hi Jen -

I really enjoyed your comments in post #15 and it got me thinking a bit about Brother Lawrence, who is one of my favorites. He shows how to simplify everything we do . . . even the type of meditation you are describing in your post.

If I could boil down his entire teaching in just a few words it would be this: All our thoughts, words, actions and deeds should be directed to the honor and glory of God. Pray constantly: 24/7.

He showed a “way” in his book “Practicing the Presence of God” that works for people in all states of life . . . whether religious or lay. It was his belief that everyone would benefit from his simple approach.

His inspiration to me is that he practiced this “method” to a very high degree and got to the point where he no longer thought about the virtues and how well or poorly he was practicing them. In short, if all was directed toward God then he was living Love . . . and all virtues simply became a kind of sub-set of love that really didn’t need to be analyzed.

The benefit of this is our focus changes: from ourselves to God . . . from how well we are/are not doing to simply living in a kind of loving attentiveness in His presence. Obviously most of us are no where near a Brother Lawrence in this Practice, so it’s good to know our weaknesses . . . the things that draw us away from God. Those were the issues I mentioned in a rather flippant way in my earlier post. Sorry 🙂

Hopefully this makes some sense. I know I have a bit of a tendancy to over-analyze the things in my life . . . so the simplification of Brother Lawrence is a great help to me.

Thank you for adding Bother Lawerence to the thread. He is a great example for living simply for God.

I was listening to the radio and there was a program taking about St. Therese, Little Flower. she was taught when she was young to use sacrifice beads. Each time she sacrificed her self in some way she would move a bead and offer it to God. Sometimes she offered her sacrifice for others in the world. She is an awesome saint!

Peace,
Jen

Thanks Jen.

An imaginary conversation with Brother Lawrence . . .

Q) Brother Lawrence, how does one come to understand:
Blessed are the poor in spirit,
A) Practice the Presence of God.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall possess the earth.
A) Practice the Presence of God.

Blessed are they who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.
A) Practice the Presence of God

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for justice,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the clean of heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are they who suffer persecution for justice’ sake,

Blessed are you when men reproach you,
and persecute you,
and speaking falsely, say all manner of evil against you, for My sake.

😃 😃

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back