Carrying out parents wishes

  • Thread starter Thread starter scc11
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scc11

Guest
I was wondering what the churchs stance on breathing machines, life supports, etc was. I am the executor of my dads estate and though there is no need to get worked up yet because he is perfectly fine right now and I am curious about the future. He has a living will and it states under no circumstances is he to be on any form of life support. He says if I cant “pull the plug” when the time come then have my brother do it. What is the church’s stance on this. The 5th commandment is honor thy father and thy mother. So if I didnt carry out my parent’s wishes wouldnt I be going against this commandment. What do I do?🤷
 
The Church does not require extraordinary means of keeping people alive such as a respirator. I suggest you contact the National Catholic Bioethics Center for information. Also, American Life League has some good brochures on this topic.
 
Simple rules are
  1. You can’t kill him by overdosing with medication
  2. You can kill him by starvation or dehydration
  3. You can let him follow the normal path to death by not keeping him alive by artificial means.
    Yes, you can pull the plug.
    An excerpt from DECLARATION ON EUTHANASIA
Such a refusal is not the equivalent of suicide; on the contrary, it should be considered as an acceptance of the human condition, or a wish to avoid the application of a medical procedure disproportionate to the results that can be expected, or a desire not to impose excessive expense on the family or the community. - When inevitable death is imminent in spite of the means used, it is permitted in conscience to take the decision to refuse forms of treatment that would only secure a precarious and burdensome prolongation of life, so long as the normal care due to the sick person in similar cases is not interrupted. In such circumstances the doctor has no reason to reproach himself with failing to help the person in danger.
 
Simple rules are
  1. You can’t kill him by overdosing with medication
  2. You can kill him by starvation or dehydration
  3. You can let him follow the normal path to death by not keeping him alive by artificial means.
    Yes, you can pull the plug.
    An excerpt from DECLARATION ON EUTHANASIA
I hope you meant to type “You CANNOT kill him by starvation or dehydration.” :eek:

Just to be clear, the Catholic Church does not allow basic care such as nourishment and fluids to be withheld in order to bring about death.

Gertabelle
 
I hope you meant to type “You CANNOT kill him by starvation or dehydration.” :eek:

Just to be clear, the Catholic Church does not allow basic care such as nourishment and fluids to be withheld in order to bring about death.

Gertabelle
Yes. Oops. And it won’t let me edit now!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top