Catholic Bible Commentary

  • Thread starter Thread starter kevinwinterborn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Strat,
you have me intrigued.

I believe you are a 51 year old convert.

As a cradle Catholic I would not like to say anything that would affect your faith. But the historical-critical method is Church approved (Dei Verbum). The Navarre Bible is excellent, but it is not critical, it is more spiritual reading. The CCSS does not appeal to me. Sacra Pagina is OK, but the books vary. Some of the authors seem a bit odd. Usually whether a commentary is by a Catholic or not is immaterial. Our faoth is Scripture plus.
 
Dei Verbum is not a blanket approval of historical critical method alone. See the Letter and Spirit Vol 2 for a great exposition of what Dei Verbum does approve (the first essay in the book written by Cardinal Dulles). The entire volume is, in effect, a challenge to an over-reliance on the historical critical methods used by themselves. Josef Ratzinger wrote a great deal on the same topic over the years. It is not uncommon that the documents of Vatican II are not clearly understood and taken to conclusions they were not intended.

This is a topic that has interested me for sometime and I’ve read quite a lot in the area and written quite a few reviews over the years. You might like some of my amazon reviews: amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/AF3X7J0XC391L
 
In the back of the CCSS volume I have (Matthew) - the authors list several commentaries with a brief description of each. One they mention as ‘the most thorough and respected’ is the International Critical Commentary Series 3-volume set for Matthew. I don’t know if anyone has sampled them - they are pricey. I put a couple on hold through the library. I’m currently doing some studies on the synoptic gospels and hope to review the commentaries I read on Amazon so watch for them to come over the next few months if you’re interested:
amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/AF3X7J0XC391L
 
I am hoping someone that’s contributed to this thread can help me.

I have seen the one volume Navarre Bible for the New Testament, which is $80. How exactly does that differ from the 12 volume Navarre New Testament set which is around $200? I don’t mind spending the extra money for the 12 volume if the information therein is worth the difference between that and the single volume. But I don’t know what the difference is.
 
I am hoping someone that’s contributed to this thread can help me.

I have seen the one volume Navarre Bible for the New Testament, which is $80. How exactly does that differ from the 12 volume Navarre New Testament set which is around $200? I don’t mind spending the extra money for the 12 volume if the information therein is worth the difference between that and the single volume. But I don’t know what the difference is.
I can’t help answer it definitively but once I paged through the single-volume version a bit to compare it from memory with a couple of the single volumes I have. It seemed to be virtually the same but from comparing the size of the 12 with the size of the single, it looks like the single must be condensed to some extent. Be careful too - I think there is one single-volume version that is marketed as the “compact edition” (around $43 via an Amazon store) and another that is marketed as the “expanded edition” (around $75 via an Amazon store) - be careful which one you’re ordering.
 
I believe this to be the right place to post this since it is a question about scripture. More specifically - scripture study. There are many bible commentaries out there, but I am looking for, let’s say first, an authorized bible commentary, one that is authorized by the Churhc, but moreover one that goes into depth regarding the translation methods used to take the scripture text from the initial text, Greek, Aramaic, into the current vernacular. I guess I am looking for a real good, in depth study bible or a matching bible commentary that parallels the NAB or NRSV(Catholic) bibles.

Thank you,
Pax et bonum

Kevin W.
One that has not been fully translated into english but is very good is Cornelius Lapide’s Commentary. So far, the gospels and 4 or 5 epistles have been translated. You can see this at: catholicapologetics.info/scripture/newtestament/Lapide.htm
 
Well, my local Catholic bookstore called, the Navarre(expanded) is in. I’ll go out tonight and take a look at it. I am also eyeing the New Jerome Biblical Commentary. Either one will keep me busy for a few weeks.

Thanks,
Let us know how’s that NJBC is please, because I own the old one {came out1968AD}
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top