F
FindTruth7
Guest
What is the Catholic Charismatic Movement? Is it approved by the Church?
The Charismatic gifts were given by God to the Catholic Church. As with all other Christian Truths, if they exist among our Protestant brethren, they do so because of the Catholic Church.In my opinion, this is another sign we are moving away from Catholic culture to Protestant culture. Are we doomed? Christ will fulfill his promise but will it be to those who have chosen not to be Catholic?
I wonder if the papal approval is of something different than can be seen at Catholic charismatic communities today. Not sure the two line up.The Catholic Charismatic Renewal has enjoyed papal approval since its beginning in 1967…
Good advice (and you have a great bishop, too!Yesterday at the Rite of Election in Scranton PA, Bishop Martino mentioned (out of a list of parish groups) that the charismatic groups are worthy and encouraged to be joined.
If my Bishop suggests that I do something, I’m definitely going to be open to it. He is the shepherd, as are our Popes.
The only danger is the same danger that exists in all forms of prayer: when you listen to what you want, and not what God wants of you or gives to you.
If you are truly open to prayer with focus on God and Mary, you should be fine. If you do not believe you can do that, it is not going to harm you either if you do not go.
Yet, like St. John of the Cross, I prefer to be weary of all mystical events and disregard them… but God or Mary tend to keep knocking if something is ignored
I personally have experienced a gift of the Holy Spirit at a LifeTeen adoration event in St. Louis, and it was very unexpected and amazing.
Just keep the focus on the right place and you should be fine. We are given direction already on where our focus should be at.
Again, if it isn’t for you, do not go but do not discourage others as we may not know what their path is and where they may be on their own journey![]()
Yes, this is what we are called to.Is this not what we are all called to, to place our trust in God and live for Him alone?
It is true that one manifestation of the Baptism of the Holy Spirits speaking in tongues. It is however not the only gift. I am sure that the apostles did not anticipate this gift. There was a time in my life when I never expected such a gift.Yes, this is what we are called to.
Are you saying that I am not capable of this because I do not attend a charismatic community?
Thank you for the invitation, but no thank you.
If people are ‘speaking in tongues’, I have no interest in being there.
I guess if I write a book, I could call it “Catholic is enough”.
michel
I don’t know that there are “Charismatic” churches. There are Charismatic prayer groups, and sometimes Charismatic Masses (which is the same Mass we all go to, and everyone can attend), but the Charismatic Renewal is a movement within the Church, and not separate from it. Those who prefer this type of worship serve within their own parishes, and usually don’t go around telling others “I’m Charismatic”, (although some do), as least in my experience. If I go to some event that is Charismatic, I am often quite surprised at who shows up. I see them involved heavily in the parish, lectoring, in the choir, involved in evangelization, the soup kitchen, Bible Studies, catechists, etc. If someone claims to have the gifts of the Holy Spirit (any gifts) and are not using them to build up the Church, they need to take a look at themselves. Even if one is homebound in a wheelchair, there is always prayer to build up the Church.i would like to attend but do not know where one of the Charismatic Churches are.![]()
This is a key point. The Charismatic Renewal falls under the umbrella of the Catholic Church and is not separate from it. I too have been surprised when attending a charismatic event and the people there.… the Charismatic Renewal is a movement within the Church, and not separate from it…
Many Dioceses have a liason with the Charismatic Renewal, and you can check out their websites for prayer groups and Masses, or call the Diocese, or check out the Diocesan newspaper.
Thank you Danon. Many of the overexuberant have just experienced the Baptism of the Spirit. They are still on the mountain top. We know that Jesus told the disciples after the tranfiguration that they would need to return to the valley. We may be led into the desert as a part of our formation. This formation takes a lifetime. It is why there is such an emphasis on discernment within the Charismatic community.I will tell you that the renewal has brought me into a deeper relationship with Jesus, a much, much greater appreciation of the Eucharist and the mass, a deeper understanding of Scripture and a love for Mary and the Rosary.
That being said, it may not be everyone’s cup of tea. Try it with an open mind and a prayer to the Holy Spirit for discernment, and see where the Lord leads you.
It definitely has the approval of several Popes, including the current one, and I’m sure that the Holy See is well-versed in what the Charismatic Renewal does.
Just as with any church group – or the church in general – there are some who may overdo one aspect or another. When I was, uh, much younger, I remember the priests constantly reminding the people in the pews to pray along with the mass in their English-Latin missals – the mass was said in Latin at the time – because a good number of them prayed the rosary during the mass – a no-no and a misapplication of the rosary devotion. I’ve met many charismatic types who appear to be a little over-exhuberant. Don’t let that enthusiasm deter you. People ain’t perfect.
One anecdote to leave with you: The two priests who led our prayer group – they’ve since gone Home – attended their first charismatic meeting together and asked for prayers for themselves. Upon returning to the priory, one told the other, “I’m going to stop in my office. I want to check on a passage in one of the Bibles I have.” So, the priest went in and looked up the passage. He said that other different verses kept grabbing his attention, he would read them, pray over them, mark them with his highlighter. Then, another one would grab his attention, and then another and another. He had gone into his office before midnight and he kept at this until the cleaning lady interrupted him when she came in around 6am. Scripture has come alive for me in a similar way, though I haven’t stayed up all night!
Anyway, that’s my .02.
God bless you on your journey,
Dan
What do you imagine is happening?I haven’t had any direct experience with this, but it seems to be Protestant influence infiltrating the Church. Charismatic adoration sounds so irreverent that I was shocked when I heard about it.
Maybe it works for some people and there’s nothing wrong with it, but I’m going to stay as far away from it as I can.