Catholic Church too protestant?

• Thread starter Thread starter rianredd1088
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rianredd1088

Hi everyone, i would just like to say, it seems to me that the catholic church has become protestant like to not offend them, here is why i say this:
  1. why do we call ourself’s “Christian’s”, is the reason so that we can be like the rest of the denominations? I would feel alot better being called a Catholic because that is what was 1st, not the term “Chirstian”, do you get what i’m saying?
2.Many church services seem like they’ve adopted many Protestant ways. For example, i have heard many people here comment that the whole holding hands during the our father is a Protestant thing.
  1. Why do we now do mass in all languages, because from what i understand, the mass only used to be in latin? Was it to attract more members?
Now please dont blow up in my face, but to me it seems that we have become really Protestnat like, mabye I just missed something,im only 15, but if someone could explain these things to me, it would be a great help. God Bless, Bye.

:amen: I agree and I only see time in front of the Blessed Sacrament or Rosary time making a change. It can’t come from me, but I have tried and failed kind of.

I just kepp praying and thank God for being mercifull to me.:gopray2:

Pax et bonum,
Mamamull

40.png
rianredd1088:
Hi everyone, i would just like to say, it seems to me that the catholic church has become protestant like to not offend them, here is why i say this:
  1. why do we call ourself’s “Christian’s”, is the reason so that we can be like the rest of the denominations? I would feel alot better being called a Catholic because that is what was 1st, not the term “Chirstian”, do you get what i’m saying?
2.Many church services seem like they’ve adopted many Protestant ways. For example, i have heard many people here comment that the whole holding hands during the our father is a Protestant thing.
  1. Why do we now do mass in all languages, because from what i understand, the mass only used to be in latin? Was it to attract more members?
  2. Now please dont blow up in my face, but to me it seems that we have become really Protestnat like, mabye I just missed something,im only 15, but if someone could explain these things to me, it would be a great help. God Bless, Bye.
We call ourselves Christian because that’s who we are: the “Christ-like ones”. Now up until the Protestant Reformation there is but one Christian Church - the Catholic Church. Now there are thousands of denomiantions calling themselves “Christian” but their doctrines are not in concord with each other, often contradicting each other, and certainly not “Catholic” as they were before the Reformation. So sadly, we do have to use the term “Catholic” to distinguish the one, holy, Catholic and apostolic Church with the rest of the world’s Christian denominations.
  1. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think holding hands during the Pater Noster is a Catholic tradition, no? At any rate, we don’t do that in my parish.
    But I do share with you the concern of “adopting the Protestant ways” during Holy Mass – which is supposed to be solemn. Things like inviting lay people to the altar during the consecration of the bread and wine etc is really concerning
  2. That’s right the Mass used to be said in Latin, the “Tridentine Mass” was the rite - formed after the council of Trent. But the new cuoncil has taken place during the 60s, namely the council of Vatican II, calling the Faithful to observe a new form of conducting Mass – still solemn, just vernacularised to make it more relevant to those who don;t know Latin.
    Sadly, many people misunderstood the directions and guidelines given from Roma, taking it upon themselves to “reform” the Mass to their hearts’ desire, sometimes ignoring altogether the obvious and direct guidelines.

40.png
rianredd1088:
Now please dont blow up in my face, but to me it seems that we have become really Protestnat like, mabye I just missed something,im only 15, but if someone could explain these things to me, it would be a great help. God Bless, Bye.
  1. First, Catholic was not the first term for Christians, we were called people who followed “The Way” (Ac 9:2; 19:23; 22:4; 24:14, 22) and then “Christians” (Ac 11:26).
  2. The “Protestant” churches follow the church services more closely to the Early Church than the Roman Catholic church does.
  3. Was church services in the Early church done in Latin? No! That is a tradition that the Roman Catholic church started sometime around or after the fourth century.
I wish the Roman Catholic church’s services (mass) were more like “Protestant” services, for then it would be more like the Early church!

40.png
Ric:
  1. The “Protestant” churches follow the church services more closely to the Early Church than the Roman Catholic church does.
Ok, this just isn’t true. I’ve heard it many times, but repeating something that is false just doesn’t make it true. Let’s take a Southern Baptist service, for example. (To be clear, I have a great deal of respect for Southern Baptists). How is that similar to the the Last Supper? To the early Masses celebrated after Christ’s death? Here’s two huge things that the Catholic Mass has that the Southern Baptist service doesn’t:
  1. True celebration of the Last Supper, as Jesus commanded us to do
  2. Recognition of the real presence of Jesus in the Eucharist, as Jesus taught
I’m sure others can add many more.
40.png
Ric:
  1. Was church services in the Early church done in Latin? No! That is a tradition that the Roman Catholic church started sometime around or after the fourth century.
Were they done in English? I don’t think so. That’s a trend that the Protestants started in the sixteenth century. So is it better to follow a 4th century change or a 16th century change? Which is closer to Christ? And if you want Christ’s language, why are you not a Maronite Catholic? Maronites (who are fully Catholic) celebrate their Mass in Aramaic, which was the language of Christ. And to be clear, Latin was *also *around when Jesus was under Roman occupation.
40.png
Ric:
I wish the Roman Catholic church’s services (mass) were more like “Protestant” services, for then it would be more like the Early church!
Like I said, this just isn’t true. Why in the world would you say that Protestant services are more like the early church?*

40.png
Ric:
Umm… first of all, the way of worship of the Early Church is, put simply, that…“worship” - which includes sacrifice, NOT “service”, the Early Church worship through “liturgy”, as the Catholic Church does; they partake in the Breaking of the Bread - the tradition the Catholic Church holds. The Protestant services are light years away from the Early Church

Ok Ric, to tell you the truth, i may have questions about this, but i DO believe the Catholic Church is the true faith established by Jesus Christ in the year 33, so i would rather follow the church established by Jesus then a faith established by a human being. 2nd of all, i would like to thank everyone who clerified this for me, it really answered my question. God Bless to all, bye, and thanks again.

Ric said:
3. Was church services in the Early church done in Latin? No! That is a tradition that the Roman Catholic church started sometime around or after the fourth century.

Um… the ONLY church that was the one who followed Jesus is the same church that became known as the Catholic church.

Roman Catholic is the “Latin rite” of the Catholic church. There’s other rites of the same Catholic church that follow the Magisterium, headed by the Pope (currently, Pope John Paul II).

And, um… the Mass IS what was done in the Early church. Perhaps if you could take a look at the writings of the Early Fathers, it might be clearer to you that this is the case.

Protestant services do NOT have the Real Presence in the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ confected by a validly ordained priest who was ordained by a validly ordained bishop (who is a descendant of the Apostles).

Mass is a liturgy (work of the people).

Protestant services are singing, some Bible reading, and a sermon.

Mass has all that, and the Real Presence in the Holy Eucharist.

Your sister in Christ,
Veronica Anne (just another raving, devout, orthodox, cradle Roman Catholic in her… never mind how many years old… :rolleyes:

Suffice it to say, I’m a pre-Vatican II Catholic, too! :o )

40.png
rianredd1088:
I agree with you that many catholics have become latter day protestants, regardless what the teach I was schooled in the old ways, bad grounding in the faith could be some of the reason why many are laid astray.

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!

Many people confuse simplicity with a sort of primitiveness that might be associated with the early church.

The assumption (at the time of the 16th century Reformation) was that by concentrating on the “Word” in a simple manner and disregarding as much ceremony as possible they could return to practices similar to the early mass. It just is not true.

The focus of the original Divine Liturgy (Mass) was always the Holy Sacrifice. Veronica’s response was very good here. There was also usually a common meal, but that wasn’t as important and was jettisoned for practical reasons as the communities grew. (We still hold banquets for special occasions, like weddings and funerals, and that is a continuation of the meals). There were also inspirational prayers and readings. The New Testament was a work in progress then, and those writings were written to be included in the Liturgy, not vice versa.

The framework for the Divine Liturgy was directly from the Jewish Synagog services and home services which were, and still are, very liturgical and formal.

The form of prayer in use at the synagog was the Berekoth, or blessing prayer. It was used at home for meals as well. The first Catholic/Orthodox Christians were Jews and it wasn’t uncommon for them to attend both Sabbath Services at the Synagog and the Eucharist on the first day of the week (the day of the Risen Lord). Now that was pretty good devotion! 🙂 Saint Paul made it clear that it was not necessary for Gentile converts to attend Synagog Services, but he himself did so on many occasions out of true love of God and not compulsion of the law. He also did so to spread the Word.

The Jewish scriptures in use outside of Palestine were in Greek. The Septuagint was a Greek translation of scripture that was the standard for use in almost all of the Synagogs of the Diaspora. It set the Canon for the Old Testament by default. Later church councils confirmed the Canon as included in the Septuagint.

Our predecessors, the first followers of the Way, had prayer constantly on their lips and in their hearts. They praised God, and prayed for each other. There was a common use of simple ejaculatory prayers such as “Lord have Mercy” and “Glory to Jesus Christ!”. Eventually the Jesus Prayer in it’s many forms became the most common ejaculatory prayer and was highly recommended by the Early Church Fathers.

The LOTH had it’s origins in Jewish practices too. The Jews sanctified time and place with prayer. In the Roman Empire days the “watch” was three hours long, and so every three hours were marked with prayer. The prayers were usually repetitions of the Psalms, which were composed for use in the forecourts of the temple by the crowds, and also in processions. They were carried back to the synagogs and used there as well. The Catholic-Jewish followers of the Way continued these practices and interspersed blessing prayers and intercessions with the Psalms.

The Divine Liturgy (mass) in Rome was Greek in the beginning, it stayed that way until the fourth century. Immigration from the Greek speaking lands pretty much dried up by then because the capitol had moved East. Rome was a mature old city and the language on the street was a dialect of Latin. So the church in it’s wisdom changed the liturgy to Latin so that the prayers could continue to be understood by the people. The Latin translation of the Bible (vulgate) was for the same reason.

Unfortunately, most of the great wisdom literature of the early church was in Greek. You will notice that the Early Church Fathers usually composed in Greek. When the church in the west stopped giving the knowledge of Greek a high priority in the training of clergy, access to the spiritual wealth of the Patristic writings was more difficult, it was harder to “discover and learn” from the patristic writings and that influenced the course of religious history. For this reason, some Greek Orthodox will claim that the Roman Catholic church is the first protestant church! LOL. We know better, but that was the first hint of the rift between east and west.

Knowledge of the Patristic literature will make one a better Catholic, and bring one closer to the sense of early Christianity which was definately NOT protestant!

Nothing I described here sounds like modern Protestantism to me.

👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back