Catholic History Questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Teresa_Charity
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
orignally post by tkdnick
I’m not saying it was widespread, or that it was common, or anything else like that. But to say that no Native Americans were treated badly or forced to convert is just plain wishful, fairy tale thinking.
I am not sure who was saying that. Most of realize that there were injustices done but to discount everything that the Catholic Spanish or French did or that priests and nuns did that was good is not fair either. As someone said on another thread, we are all imperfect human beings descendants of Adam and Eve.

There are scholars on these forums and hopefully they will discuss the American Indians in a new forum thread.

Your quote at the bottom of your thread says it all.
 
I am not sure who was saying that. Most of realize that there were injustices done but to discount everything that the Catholic Spanish or French did or that priests and nuns did that was good is not fair either. As someone said on another thread, we are all imperfect human beings descendants of Adam and Eve.
I am assuming (based on some previous experiences of my own history professors) that the OP’s professor was probably making widespread generalizations that the Catholic missions were terrible; that and I was challenged to show proof that there were injustices. Believe me, I think the California missions are great and were a great thing. But I think anyone who assumes that everything was perfect and nothing bad ever happened is living in a fairy tale world.
 
Teresa:

I urge you to use caution in confronting your professor. Some of these academics are extremely vindictive when one disagrees with their prejudices. It’s a terrible shame, but I have seen students downgraded for taking a perfectly supportable position in support of the Church; Western Civilization; the U.S. or anything else that does not fit their political or religious (usually anti-religious) agenda. Many have no conscience whatever in punishing those who disagree.

If your professor has turned the class into a forum for anti-Catholicism, it is exceedingly unlikely you will persuade him/her of anything. If I were you, my attention would be on my classmates, privately, who are probably more open to counter-argument, but who may have no sources for better information.
Unfortunatly, having been through the “system” I have to agree with RidgeRunner. A needed class in college or university is seldom the place or time to take on the prof. To most of them you are just a dumb Christian/Catholic and they will smite you. There are some, but they are few, who like students to fight for an opposing view.
 
You could get some of the new books that are about setting the record straight. Approach your prof with excitement and and say that you have some books that would clear up any misinformation.
 
Originally posted by st. julie
You could get some of the new books that are about setting the record straight. Approach your prof with excitement and and say that you have some books that would clear up any misinformation.
Give him a copy only after your grade has been document. You could possibly report him to an advisor once the grade has been documented if he’s rabid anti-catholic.

Don’t read this as suggested as I read Bokenkotter can be problematic on another forum, " A Concise History of the Catholic Church" by Thomas Bokenkotter(heresies and history" I need to find out why this aurthor is problematic as I got this book from a catholic homeschool organization.
 
Teresa:

I urge you to use caution in confronting your professor. Some of these academics are extremely vindictive when one disagrees with their prejudices. It’s a terrible shame, but I have seen students downgraded for taking a perfectly supportable position in support of the Church; Western Civilization; the U.S. or anything else that does not fit their political or religious (usually anti-religious) agenda. Many have no conscience whatever in punishing those who disagree.

If your professor has turned the class into a forum for anti-Catholicism, it is exceedingly unlikely you will persuade him/her of anything. If I were you, my attention would be on my classmates, privately, who are probably more open to counter-argument, but who may have no sources for better information.
As a college professor myself, you do have to be careful, some can be quite vindictive. Although, you might try raising a contrary viewpoint in class and see how he or she reacts. Some are actually willing to learn.

Actually, one of my goals in retirement is to take a class from a rabid anti-catholic, defend the Church, which will probably get me an F. Of course, if I get an F, I will file a grade dispute, which will force more people to read my papers. I don’t think that would change my grade, but it may cause them to be a little more careful.
 
JMJ

Thank you all for your suggestions and the good resources for studying history. I appreciate it.

My professor has continued to make unjust accusations about the Church in class. I talked with him after class one day, and asked him about primary resources for some of his statements… but he is by no means interested in giving me primary resources. He is pretty closed to hearing any other point of view about the Church, so I think I will mostly just pray during class, be respectful of my professor, and try to talk with classmates if possible–much like Ridgerunner and some others said in their replies.

Thanks again for the help. God Bless!

Teresa Charity
 
I recently purchased a set of CDs from Saint Joseph communications "Fire & Sword’ by Matthew Arnold. He addresses the Crusades and the inquisition and gives so much data that explains the Churches position.

Also, The book “The Myth of Hitlers Pope” written by Rabbi Dalan is excellent and he addresses each and every false accusation made in the Anti-Catholic book “Hitler’s Pope”.

Don’t beleive your professor, Pope Pius saved more Jews than any other world leader of the time. Every Catholic that was commended for saving Jews gave all the credit to Pope Pius the XII.
 
As a college professor myself, you do have to be careful, some can be quite vindictive. Although, you might try raising a contrary viewpoint in class and see how he or she reacts. Some are actually willing to learn.

Actually, one of my goals in retirement is to take a class from a rabid anti-catholic, defend the Church, which will probably get me an F. Of course, if I get an F, I will file a grade dispute, which will force more people to read my papers. I don’t think that would change my grade, but it may cause them to be a little more careful.
Gee, I like your plans! I too, hope to do the same when my time allows.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top