Catholic library book?

• Thread starter Thread starter faithfulservant
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

faithfulservant

i was checking out our church library yesterday and , to my surprise, found a book, everday grace by a high school classmate of mine…marianne williamson … i knew she was an author… and wrote spirituality/self help books… but is this the kind of book that should be found in a Catholic library?

I’ve read some of her books and I’m quite surprised as well. Was it at least categorized as a non Christian book?

it actually wasn’t “categorized” as anything…but it was out by itself being"spotlighted" instead of buried in the shelves… i guess i just wanted to see what others thought of this being the kind of book that belonged in a Catholic church library:confused: how would you categorize it…new age spirituality?

Obviously your question can’t be answered without having read the book but it raises another question: what books *should *be in a Catholic library?

btw david… i like your sig line… i have a t-shirt that has a Host on the front and that text on the back:D 👍

40.png
DEACONGS:
Obviously your question can’t be answered without having read the book but it raises another question: what books *should *be in a Catholic library?
which seems to be an ongoing point of debate at our church… it’s my opinion that a Catholic library should have only books having to do with the Catholic faith… there are many other places one can get secularized books

Our Archdiocesan library basically put out anything that was donated to it. That’s how the booksale recently featured such, ahem, “gems” as books by Malachi Martin and Hal Lindsey. I quickly bought them up, lest anyone else think they were somehow Catholic.

Dr. Colossus:
Our Archdiocesan library basically put out anything that was donated to it. That’s how the booksale recently featured such, ahem, “gems” as books by Malachi Martin and Hal Lindsey. I quickly bought them up, lest anyone else think they were somehow Catholic.
great idea dr c… hal lindsey huh? well, from what i gathered about ms williamson, at least he’s “Christian”… since we don’t “sell” our books, i’ve about decided to check some out…and never return them…serves the same purpose as your idea…with the added benefit that it doesn’t cost me money:D

40.png
faithfulservant:
great idea dr c… hal lindsey huh? well, from what i gathered about ms williamson, at least he’s “Christian”… since we don’t “sell” our books, i’ve about decided to check some out…and never return them…serves the same purpose as your idea…with the added benefit that it doesn’t cost me money:D
Hal Lindsey is a Fundamentalist Christian. One of his more famous writing is “The Late Great Planet Earth”, pretty standard Rapture literature which appears to be the source for much of the new Left Behind seies. He is, however, most decidedly anti-“Romanist” (read: Catholic). As far as buying the books, I think they were about 50 cents each, so it certainly wasn’t a stretch on my pocketbook. Does your library have a time limit for checking out books? If so, I hate to break it to you, but never returning them is stealing 😦 . But you could probably manage to get the library to pull them from the shelves if you took them back and explained why they aren’t appropriate for a Catholic library.

Dr. Colossus:
Hal Lindsey is a Fundamentalist Christian. One of his more famous writing is “The Late Great Planet Earth”, pretty standard Rapture literature which appears to be the source for much of the new Left Behind seies. He is, however, most decidedly anti-“Romanist” (read: Catholic). As far as buying the books, I think they were about 50 cents each, so it certainly wasn’t a stretch on my pocketbook. Does your library have a time limit for checking out books? If so, I hate to break it to you, but never returning them is stealing 😦 . But you could probably manage to get the library to pull them from the shelves if you took them back and explained why they aren’t appropriate for a Catholic library.
very familiar with hal lindsey… every time he makes a prediction about the end times…and it doesn’t happen…he contrives some reason why his calculations were off and sets a new time:tsktsk:

don’t think there is a time limit…and i would have to be a r…e…a…l s…l…o…w reader to get back all those i would check out:D 😉

luckily with my friend being in charge , i can’t see there would be a problem

i did find out something horrifying yesterday though … she was told you have to be real careful on publish dates…because anything earlier than Vatican II is out dated… since the theology of the Church “changed” after VII… harumph… with people like that in charge, it’s no wonder the shelves are proliferated with garbage

i did find out something horrifying yesterday though … she was told you have to be real careful on publish dates…because anything earlier than Vatican II is out dated… since the theology of the Church “changed” after VII
Brilliant. I guess the Bible and works of the early Church Fathers are out then, too.

yeah…sad isn’t it? she said the Douay Rheims bible doesn’t belong there since the Church uses the NAB :confused: 😦

now if it’s a book about the ECF published after VII, then it would be acceptable, because you have the “benfit” of the “modern scholars” take on the material:rolleyes:

Why would you censor Malachi Martin’s books?
He died in good standing with the Church?

???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back