Catholic Poets

• Thread starter Thread starter BloodandFire
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BloodandFire

I am an aspiring poet and I need some Catholic influences.

Also, any saints with the same redeeming qualities.

Read if you have not yet, John Donne- “The Holy Sonnets” especially powerful ones like “Batter my heart three personed God”
George Herbert , Andrew Marvell, Yeats, - post your poems for us to read.

40.png
radhika:
, - post your poems for us to read.
Haha…an artist never reveals his work.

No, I am too critical of my own work, I will probably think its too bad.

My favorites are St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross. 2 excellent Spanish saints and poets. The translations aren’t as good as the original Spanish (of course) but the imagery is beautiful. Fair warning, they’re mystics and use very sensual language.

40.png
radhika:
Read if you have not yet, John Donne- “The Holy Sonnets” especially powerful ones like “Batter my heart three personed God”
George Herbert , Andrew Marvell, Yeats, - post your poems for us to read.
Donne, a descendant of Saint Thomas More, was reared Catholic, but left the Church to become an Anglican. He was ordained to their ministry and became Dean of Saint Paul’s Cathedral in London.

I recommend the book Garlands of Grace: An Anthology of Great Christian Poetry compilled by Regis Martin and published by Ignatius Press. Many, but not all, of the poets are Catholic, and many but not all are very famous. It is a small but beautiful collection.

I also second the recommendattion for St. Teresa of Avila’s poetry. One of her poems which always attracted me was translated by Longfellow and maintained the poetic beauty.
Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing afraight you.
All things are passing.
God never changeth…

Gerard Manley Hopkins.

G. K. Chesterton.

Dante.

St. Thomas Aquinas.

Why not Beowulf?

St. Juan de la Cruz and St. Teresa of Avila have already been mentioned.

Actually, I suggest you read all sorts of good poetry. If you haven’t explored Catholic poetry, then go for it, but don’t shun others’ work just because it isn’t Catholic. “The world is charged with the grandeur of God”.

Lissla Lissar:
Gerard Manley Hopkins.

Why not Beowulf?

Actually, I suggest you read all sorts of good poetry. If you haven’t explored Catholic poetry, then go for it, but don’t shun others’ work just because it isn’t Catholic. “The world is charged with the grandeur of God”.
Actually I just finished reading Beowulf, great work of literature.

I already investigated other influences of poetry, thats why I need some Catholic poets. Thanks for the advise though!

Yes. Eliot. Especially The Four Quartets- lots of imagery from Julian of Norwich and St. John of the Cross. The Ariel poems are great, too. And Choruses From The Rock. Eliot was High Anglican though, not Catholic.

Some good poets have already been mentioned. Hopkins is probably the most renowned Catholic poet in English. Eliot was ostensibly Catholic, though he was technically Anglo-Catholic. “Ash Wednesday” is another Eliot poem of note.

My favorite Catholic poet is Richard Crashaw, who was a contemporary of Donne, Herbert, Vaughn and the other 17th Century Metaphysical poets. A former Anglican priest, he converted to Catholicism and was profoundly influenced by Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross. I am currently working on my Master’s Thesis, examining the intertextuality between Crashaw’s poetry and the writings of St. Teresa.

You might also look to writers like Flannery O’Connor and Walker Percy for Catholic literary influences. You might check out Joseph Pearce’s “Literary Converts” for more info on Catholic authors and poets.

Finally, though he left no devotional poetry (in fact, probably never wrote any), Chaucer is a Catholic poet, and you will find Catholicity in many, many others, such as Yeats, Wordsworth, Spenser, Milton, and Shakespeare (who some have postulated was a closeted Catholic)…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back