Catholic Prayer(s): The Typical Writ

• Thread starter Thread starter Xenon-135
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
X

Xenon-135

I need to learn the actual words for some prayers that I have just simply glossed over for many years. Some of these are
  1. The prayer before a meal. I used to make up my own spontaneous one, but I have been dining with more folks of the Catholic Faith and they have been reciting a prayer that goes something like “Bless us oh Lord for these thy gifts that we are about to receive, through our bounty in Christ our Lord. Amen.”
The prayer is done in unison. Do I have the words for this prayer correct?
  1. The prayer when we genuflect before the Eucharist just prior to entering the pew. I have heard school kids say something about praise be to Jesus in the most Holy Sacrament upon the Altar, now and forever. Amen. …Ok, I really botched this one, would someone please tell me what it is supposed to be.
  2. I have always been to face to face reconciliation and always done an impromptu Act of Contrition. What is the common act of contrition? I have found several “versions” but what is the one folks commonly use?
Well, thats all I can think of for now. Sometimes I consider how I have conducted my faith live so impromptu and spontaneously that I liken it to a musician, who learns the scales and basics well after specific musical pieces.

Look forward to hearing from you.

👍

1:

Bless us O Lord and these thy gifts, which we are about to receive, from thy bounty through Christ our Lord, Amen.
  1. We just say the Sign of the Cross prayer (In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit). Amen.
  2. There are a few versions of the AOC. The one I learned:
O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended thee. I detest all my sins because of thy just punishments but most of all because they offend thee, my God, who art all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of thy grace, to sin no more and to avoid the near occasion of sin. Amen.

EWTN and Catholic.org have sections on Common Catholic prayers if you have more.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back