Catholic teaching on preparedness?

• Thread starter Thread starter ZemD
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZemD

Does the church have any official teaching or even unofficial stance on preparedness? I understand that we should avoid mortal sin and strive to always be in a state of grace, to be prepared if we are to die suddenly, but I am asking about preparedness for things like unexpected emergencies, natural disasters, things such as that.

I knew mormons who had a years worth of food and household supplies stored in thier home. They said all mormons have this somewhere in thier homes. I didn’t ask if this is something their church officially teaches, but it must be at least part of the mormon culture if it is true what they told me, that all mormons store food and supplies for at least a year.

There is no such a thing in Catholic Church. We are called to vigilance because we do not know the day nor the hour.
Also that preparedness could be taken presumptuous by some catholics and wouldn’t have any good effects except false security.

But, st. Charles Borromeo has written Contract and Testament of the Soul which is preparation for death. I have it and find it very helpful. It reminds you of death and importance of your soul.
Just to warn, that isn’t written as some false security testament as I mentioned but is rather your final YES to God if you maybe won’t be able to say it or do something because of some uncontrolled and unpredictable (mostly spiritual) circumstances. It certainly means living virtuously, repenting and always striving to be better through life. Fight and move forward with confidence in God.
That booklet has 2 parts, one is Contract and second is Testament. It has detailed instructions “how to do it”. It is firstly spiritual act and should be done with right attitude.

Last edited:
I am not aware of any Church teaching on preparedness. The Church does not get into matters that are not about faith and morals, or at least fairly well connected to them.

My impression if that the LDS church teaches that, among other things.

We spiritually prepare every day.

The whole passage is important, especially beginning at 25

25n “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat [Or drink], or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?

26 Look at the birds in the sky; they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are not you more important than they?o27Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span?*

28 Why are you anxious about clothes? Learn from the way the wild flowers grow. They do not work or spin.

29 But I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was clothed like one of them.30* If God so clothes the grass of the field, which grows today and is thrown into the oven tomorrow, will he not much more provide for you, O you of little faith?

31 So do not worry and say, ‘What are we to eat?’ or ‘What are we to drink?’ or ‘What are we to wear?’

32 All these things the pagans seek. Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.

But seek first the kingdom [of God] and his righteousness,* and all these things will be given you besides.

34 Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself. Sufficient for a day is its own evil

@TheLittleLady I had forgotten about this passage but remember it now that you’ve posted it. Thank you this is a very good explanation.

Last edited:
There is a degree of mean-spiritedness visible in the online forms of the “survivor culture:” those who seemingly can’t wait for the collapse or “SHTF event” to happen, so they can come out on top, laughing at all the “sheeple” who did not structure their life around “survival.”

The Holy Church doesn’t involve herself in that sort of thing.

My question is, survival for what? Something is going to come up that you are not going to survive. It is less likely to be some world calamity or political crisis, than something initially too small to see inside your own body.

Remember the man with the silos in the Gospel.

ICXC NIKA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back