Catholic Teaching on Sexuality

  • Thread starter Thread starter PelagiathePenit
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PelagiathePenit

Guest
I know what the Catholic church teaches on sin. I thought sin would make you unhappy. A good Catholic should eliminate whatever causes them to sin. There is never an excuse for sin. Thoughts, emotions, reaction, along with deeds, actions, failure to act and omission is considered sin. Not to go to the “dark” side, I know people live very happy lives, that are supposedly sinful. Lots of people have sex before marriage. A lot people go through a sleeping around phase in university. A lot girls my age are on birth control. Besides, Jesus said the judgmental person is worse than others. A judgmental person is considered with other people’s sin, not his own, is nosy, and puts himself in the place of God. Sometimes I struggle the most with the church’s teaching on sexuality. Most people without being religious can agree that greed, violence, jealousy, envy, adultery, etc are all forms of evil.

I am always wonder if I could practice all the good virtues without God. Why do I need God if I am not weak and I can take care of myself? I understand why addicts, criminals, abusive, etc - need God. What about the everyday, moderate, well-to-do, law-abiding citizens. They are not seriously evil, they are kind. Surely, they are not saints, but still no one is perfect. Their lives seem to function well without God.

God demands so much of from his followers. Why do I have to suffer for knowing about God, while others do not? In the end, who am I judge? My suffering does not mean I have a better chance of entering heaven than they do. Why can’t I simply neglect the teachings I do not like, disagree with or make me feel uncomfortable.
 
I guess it depends on who Jesus is for you.

If you have not had an encounter with Christ then all the “laws”, “rules” and “commandments” can indeed seem meaningless.

If you have had an encounter with Christ, then you find these as a pathway to Him who loves you. And perhaps, along the way, if you are persistent and courageous you may slowly find they are meaningless because you no longer want to break them.

Cheers,
Curundu
 
I know what the Catholic church teaches on sin. I thought sin would make you unhappy. A good Catholic should eliminate whatever causes them to sin. There is never an excuse for sin. Thoughts, emotions, reaction, along with deeds, actions, failure to act and omission is considered sin. Not to go to the “dark” side, I know people live very happy lives, that are supposedly sinful. Lots of people have sex before marriage. A lot people go through a sleeping around phase in university. A lot girls my age are on birth control. Besides, Jesus said the judgmental person is worse than others. A judgmental person is considered with other people’s sin, not his own, is nosy, and puts himself in the place of God. Sometimes I struggle the most with the church’s teaching on sexuality. Most people without being religious can agree that greed, violence, jealousy, envy, adultery, etc are all forms of evil.

I am always wonder if I could practice all the good virtues without God. Why do I need God if I am not weak and I can take care of myself? I understand why addicts, criminals, abusive, etc - need God. What about the everyday, moderate, well-to-do, law-abiding citizens. They are not seriously evil, they are kind. Surely, they are not saints, but still no one is perfect. Their lives seem to function well without God.

God demands so much of from his followers. Why do I have to suffer for knowing about God, while others do not? In the end, who am I judge? My suffering does not mean I have a better chance of entering heaven than they do. Why can’t I simply neglect the teachings I do not like, disagree with or make me feel uncomfortable.
Being a Christian is not all about being a moral or good or happy person, any atheist or Muslim or Buddhist can be a ‘good’ person in the eyes of the world. Being a Christian is about having a relationship with God.

St. Paul said ““But if, in seeking to be justified in Christ, we find ourselves also among the sinners, doesn’t that mean that Christ promotes sin? Absolutely not!” and, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”

If you at least know and believe that God gave his life for you, you should also know that life on this world is nothing compared to life in God, but heaven starts here on earth. If you reject God on earth, there is not some magical light switch that is going to go off once you die where you will automatically be in a relationship with God.

If people are honestly striving to lead a good life without the knowledge of God, either because they had never been taught, or they sincerely can’t believe because of some deficiency in their understanding, bodily death may be what they need to understand.

If, however, someone knows of him and decides not to have a relationship with him because it’s too hard, that is outright rejection, and if you can’t accept him now, I fear you would not be able to accept him after death.
 
I know what the Catholic church teaches on sin. I thought sin would make you unhappy.
It will, and for all eternity.

Based on your post, you do not appear to have a clear understanding of The Faith. I would suggest that you get and read the Bible and the Catechism and do some serious study on the subject. God Bless you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top