I have two questions about the Catholic teaching on usury (charging of interest on loans):
What am I missing here? And how do I refute the claim that "the Church changed its teaching on usury to allow what was previously forbidden (therefore it could change its teachings on other moral issues to do likewise)?
- As I understand it, at one time the Church taught that interest in any amount — not just “biting” or “excessive” interest — could not be charged by a Christian loaning money to someone else. If necessary, we were allowed to pay interest to a non-Christian moneylender (the Jews of the time fulfilled this role), but we could not do it ourselves. The only kind of loan a Christian could make to another person was a zero-interest loan. Then, in late medieval times, it seems as though the teaching changed, and that a distinction was made between, as I said, “biting” or “excessive” interest, and a lower rate of interest. How did the Church change her teaching? This sounds like, for instance, a hypothetical future situation where the Church could say something like “if you seek to control the size of your family, you must first try natural family planning, but if you try and that doesn’t work, then you can use artificial methods, just be moderate in how you use it”. In other words, a tolerance of a comparatively small evil, even if it is an intrinsic evil. In short, was charging interest on money ever taught as an absolute, intrinsic evil?
- It is my understanding (and this is a simplification) that the Church’s one-time teaching on usury stated that charging interest is a sin against justice, “charging for an item and for use of an item on top of that”. This doesn’t make sense to me. For example, if I loan my neighbor $100,000, and ask that it be paid back in five years, I have been deprived of the use of that money, and my neighbor gets to use that money instead. In that five years, I could have invested that money in real estate, the stock market, starting a business, what have you, and earned a profit. For that matter, I could have used that money to meet expenses of my own. But I did not have use of it, my neighbor did. Should I not, then, be compensated for lack of access to my money, and missed opportunities to do something with it, by some moderate rate of interest that, at least in the case of investment, would roughly compensate me for what I would have otherwise earned with it? Far from being a sin of injustice to receive interest, would it not be a sin of injustice to be deprived of compensation?
What am I missing here? And how do I refute the claim that "the Church changed its teaching on usury to allow what was previously forbidden (therefore it could change its teachings on other moral issues to do likewise)?
Last edited: