Catholicism's Incorruptible Saints

• Thread starter Thread starter James_2_24
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James_2_24

Do the bodies of incorruptible Saints more or less “put weight behind” or “prove” Catholicism’s claims? I understand when we say “prove” we can’t have an absolute proof since this would destroy the need for faith, but when I say “prove” i mean beyond a reasonable doubt.

James_2:24:
Do the bodies of incorruptible Saints more or less “put weight behind” or “prove” Catholicism’s claims? I understand when we say “prove” we can’t have an absolute proof since this would destroy the need for faith, but when I say “prove” i mean beyond a reasonable doubt.
I don’t think it proves anything. Many tibetian monks have bodies that are uncorrupted. Deos that prove anything? It could have to do with diet, lifestyle, and even the conditions of where there body is. I don’t think it is necessarily anything supernatural.

It proved a lot to my Confirmation class last year. They were very shocked to hear about these saints. It was the most that they paid attention all year.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.
(Plato)

40.png
Andrew_11:
I don’t think it proves anything. Many tibetian monks have bodies that are uncorrupted. Deos that prove anything? It could have to do with diet, lifestyle, and even the conditions of where there body is. I don’t think it is necessarily anything supernatural.
Where did you get this information? And do they smell of flowers? Do they look completely uncorrupted?

vicia3:
Where did you get this information? And do they smell of flowers? Do they look completely uncorrupted?
The History Channel had a big doccumentery on it a couple years ago. Which saint smells like flowers? I’m sure that God preserves the bodies of some saints, but I think many cases have more down to earth explainations.

40.png
Andrew_11:
Can you please quote your sources on the Tibetan monks, I am interested in reading more about that topic.
Thanks.

One of the documentary channels had an hour program about the incorrupt bodies of Buddhist monks and yes, they sometimes do exude a floral or sweet fragrance.

I think “incorrupt” is used as a somewhat relative term - some of them were mere skeletons while others looked like mummies. I don’t remember that any of them are as beautifully “alive” looking as Saint Bernadette, for instance.

On the other hand, there are Catholic incorruptibles whose remains are masked with wax or precious metals and others who have deteriorated to the appearance of mummies and skeletons.

One significant difference is that to the best of my knowledge, the Catholic incorrupt did not prepare for death by ingesting large amounts of materials which would tend to make their flesh mummify itself as some Buddhist monks did. I can’t remember what the foods were that the monks subsisted on for the last few weeks of their lives, but there were things that they ate to the exclusion of all other foods which are believed to have brought about a pre-death “embalming” of sorts.

A very long article here, which makes only this single note of the Buddhist monks and has interesting commentary on Catholic incorruptibles which may answer your questions (and might bring up a few more 🙂 ) regarding “what does it prove?”
forteantimes.com/articles/159_saintspreserved.shtml
[Editor’s note: There are, however, several incorrupt bodies of Buddhist **monks which are preserved as objects of veneration. See FT78:9, 157:23].

I voted yes.

I have seen St.Francis Xaviour`s incorrupted body in 1978 which is in Goa, India.

In Christ,
selvaraj

Regarding the possibility of incorrupt Budhist monks: how are we to know that God has not given some of them that gift, based on how they lived their lives according to their beliefs and conscience? I don’t want to divert this trhead to the topic of salvation outside the church, but isn’t saying that no non-Catholic can be incorrupt assuming we know the limits of God’s power?

What is faith?

Faith is not belief without reason.

Faith is belief, backed by reason, upheld in our more irrational moods.

(paraphrased from CSL’s Mere Christianity)

I voted “yes” - as a convert from the Evangelical church, I have yet to hear about any incorrupt protestants.

40.png
Andrew_11:
The History Channel had a big doccumentery on it a couple years ago. Which saint smells like flowers? I’m sure that God preserves the bodies of some saints, but I think many cases have more down to earth explainations.
St Bernadette. I can’t find it right now where it says who smells of flowers, but you should look at a picture of St. Bernadette.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back