Catholics and moral decadence

  • Thread starter Thread starter mexolic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mexolic

Guest
There is an article about St. Maria Goretti in the July 6, 2012 issue of The Tidings.
It’s a weekly Los Angeles Catholic newspaper. Here are some excerpts. *“Statistics
regarding casual sex and abortion on demand leave Catholics in America indifferent;
indeed, many Catholic legislators assent to morally infamous laws, defending their
need, while vigorously asserting their Catholicism. Parents bring their children to
Catholic schools and religious education classes-then refuse to practice the Faith at
home…is love for Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, the “hidden Jesus” so cherished
by Maria Goretti, at the heart of your family life?” * Have Catholics contributed to the problems, as mentioned in the article, through assent and apathy?:hmmm:
 
I would say that it’s not just Catholics. In the Protestant world you will hear the same thing: “The church is acting no different from the world.” Usually the solution is further evangelization or catechesis, as true conversion may not have happened in people. We all need God’s grace.
 
It is frustrating when I see Catholics contribute to the problem of moral decadence. For many years I was involved in the Pro-Life movement. The goal of our group was to try and sanctify our community, encourage PRC participation etc.

There is a Catholic who owns an independent business trading in morally decadent R,. PG 13 movies, the graphic stuff. Using Mathew 18 as our inspiration we visited this person with negative results. So we went to his pastor who enabled him and berated us. Very sad!
 
There is an article about St. Maria Goretti in the July 6, 2012 issue of The Tidings.
It’s a weekly Los Angeles Catholic newspaper. Here are some excerpts. *“Statistics
regarding casual sex and abortion on demand leave Catholics in America indifferent;
indeed, many Catholic legislators assent to morally infamous laws, defending their
need, while vigorously asserting their Catholicism. Parents bring their children to
Catholic schools and religious education classes-then refuse to practice the Faith at
home…is love for Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, the “hidden Jesus” so cherished
by Maria Goretti, at the heart of your family life?” * Have Catholics contributed to the problems,as mentioned in the article, through assent and apathy?:hmmm:
For some,Catholicism is applied when it serves their interests?Like the Jews of old,they would not live up to the obligations of God,but like to remind others that they are the chosen of God.God wants us to love and serve Him on His conditions,not ours.If God is not truly present in one’s life[by conviction and adherence to moral obligation]one is lost.If one turns away from the light,they are in the shade and spiritually blind.They then set up a “golden calf” - Self love in replacement of what was reserved for God.

Parents must do their part and not leave everything to teaches,priests and religious to fill the void to become their educators and serve as stand-in parents and expect children to have a solid grounding in moral and religious education.This is their duty of state.I have heard a few say "how could this be,I sent him to a good school?He used to be an alter server,etc…"BUT,what did they do as parents?Having a shrine in my house proves I’m a good catholic?I go to church when there is a baptism,first holy communion,wedding…?

The main problem from what I can see is we are willing to give up most things to serve God,EXCEPT what God wants us to give up.Akin to the Pharisee & the Publican;Lord,I will pray 15 decades of the rosary,but I do not like to practice the spirit of poverty?I will attend mass,but do not expect me to give up my temper if my neighbour steps on my lawn after I’ve mowed it?Self Love,not in God,but outside of God brings calamitous effects,and in due course,if not remedied will possibly be our ultimate undoing and ruin.This mediocrity in form of serving two masters(God & self)will send us to hell followed by our children of which we served as an example and guide.

God bless,

JMJ
 
Mexolic-

Parents bring their children to Catholic schools and religious education classes-then refuse to practice the Faith at home…

Unfortunately, I believe this is more true today than ever. My son goes to a Catholic high school and writes for the school paper. They did a blind poll in the library one day. Turns out that only slightly more than half the students attend Sunday Mass regularly (with or without their families).

My wife taught catechism and it was fairly typical that once the kids got first holy communion, the family’s church attendance dropped off considerably.

Pray for all the faithful, even those who struggle or need reminding!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top