centering prayer

• Thread starter Thread starter Andrew_11
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Defering to the moderators, I would say that the term itself is ambiguous and sometimes problematic if it inappropriately relies on Buddhist Zen concepts incompatible with Christianity. As Christians we do not seek “nirvana” or “nothingness,” and we shouldn’t rely on concepts that are shockingly atheistic and materialistic (in the philosophical sense, that this body in this world is all we have). But many people with good intentions use the term “centering prayer” just to mean prolonged and peaceful CATHOLIC meditation, and I would encourage them to call it that.

If you are talking about seeking that deep stillness, centered on God and using a short loving prayer word such as “Jesus” or a short scripture as a “mantra” to stay focused on God – no problem!

I think it is a good practice for some. Sometimes as I read Scripture and something touches me deeply, I’ll meditate on it for awhile, and sometimes find myself just “at peaceful rest knowing God’s presence.” I have found this at times in the rosary in which an hour or more goes by without my awareness. Other times, I’ll focus on God, recognize his presence, and simply rest; after a bit, I’ll thank God and close with the Lord’s Prayer. I have found this refreshing and have noticed God molding me – my dispositions, attitudes,…

Love & peace in Christ,
Bob

40.png
trailblazer:
If you are talking about seeking that deep stillness, centered on God and using a short loving prayer word such as “Jesus” or a short scripture as a “mantra” to stay focused on God – no problem!

I think it is a good practice for some. Sometimes as I read Scripture and something touches me deeply, I’ll meditate on it for awhile, and sometimes find myself just “at peaceful rest knowing God’s presence.” I have found this at times in the rosary in which an hour or more goes by without my awareness. Other times, I’ll focus on God, recognize his presence, and simply rest; after a bit, I’ll thank God and close with the Lord’s Prayer. I have found this refreshing and have noticed God molding me – my dispositions, attitudes,…

Love & peace in Christ,
Bob
I do the same thing and have heard it reffered to as centering prayer and know that what you described is approved by the Church, I just wasn’t sure if centering prayer was the correct term for this practice.

I think of centering prayer as sitting quietly in God’s presence and letting him “groom” me. Giving myself to Him completely for that period of time to do whatever He sees fit. I especially like to pray this way in front of the Blessed Sacrament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back